Recent

Author Topic: GTK 3.0  (Read 26130 times)

LazaruX

• Lazarus original cheetah.The cheetah doesn't cheat
GTK 3.0
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:54:23 pm »
Hi folks,
as I can see from the repository of my Linux distribution (PClinuxOS) and from Wikipedia, GTK 3.0 as been released. I have no idea what is different in GTK 3.0 frmo GTK 2.x but still the question is: Will Lazarus support GTK 3 soon?

Marc

• Administrator
Re: GTK 3.0
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:18:04 pm »
Hi folks,
as I can see from the repository of my Linux distribution (PClinuxOS) and from Wikipedia, GTK 3.0 as been released. I have no idea what is different in GTK 3.0 frmo GTK 2.x but still the question is: Will Lazarus support GTK 3 soon?

nope. AFAIK the idea is to write a clean widgetset for 3.0, not inheriting the load of gtk1 and 2
//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

Almindor

• http://www.astarot.tk
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:52:51 am »
Good call there. Yes, Gtk3 should probably be re-written from scratch although alot of the gtk2 code can be reused (and cleaned) in the process.

zeljko

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zeljan
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:43:42 pm »
Yes, that's exact idea. But first, someone must generate gtk3 units, and then implement gtk3lcl.

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:18:11 pm »
Yes, that's exact idea. But first, someone must generate gtk3 units, and then implement gtk3lcl.

And reimplement just about the whole WinAPI.... LCL is just too much Windows centric. But I must add, the "starting a new widgetset implementation from scratch" is a very good idea!
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

DimitriyPS

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:29:12 am »
I apologize for my English. Don't speak.

I usually talk at the forum of the national communities FreePascal and Lazarus. Read the news in the "road map" (http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Roadmap) about the implementation of GTK3 version of 1.4. I decided to write here. This is a cry of the soul.

This is one of the two most anticipated innovations. I am desperate to wait at least the beginning of works on introduction of GTK3 in the LCL. I didn't have experience, that would be a member of this work. But I am ready to be an active tester GTK3 in the LCL.

I am very afraid that this innovation will not come to a realization. Or will be implemented too late. Necrophilia on GTK2 - is a dead end. Especially against the background of active introduction of Wayland. There are not talking about support for GTK < version 3.

GTK3 is indeed a very important priority. GTK3 used not one year. Without GTK3 Lazarus loses its appeal for most Linux developers.

I really ask You to bring this innovation to the finals. I would like to be well informed on the implementation of GTK3. Ready to help at least testing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:36:17 am by DimitriyPS »

taazz

Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

zeljko

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 02:18:58 pm »
I apologize for my English. Don't speak.

I usually talk at the forum of the national communities FreePascal and Lazarus. Read the news in the "road map" (http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Roadmap) about the implementation of GTK3 version of 1.4. I decided to write here. This is a cry of the soul.

This is one of the two most anticipated innovations. I am desperate to wait at least the beginning of works on introduction of GTK3 in the LCL. I didn't have experience, that would be a member of this work. But I am ready to be an active tester GTK3 in the LCL.

I am very afraid that this innovation will not come to a realization. Or will be implemented too late. Necrophilia on GTK2 - is a dead end. Especially against the background of active introduction of Wayland. There are not talking about support for GTK < version 3.

GTK3 is indeed a very important priority. GTK3 used not one year. Without GTK3 Lazarus loses its appeal for most Linux developers.

I really ask You to bring this innovation to the finals. I would like to be well informed on the implementation of GTK3. Ready to help at least testing.

I've commited gtk3 in july into lazarus trunk (most handles (widgets) are implemented basically), so you can play with it. Most heavy task is correct implementation of cairo in winapi (look at the sources).

DimitriyPS

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 10:29:09 am »
I tried to compile under GTK3, but lacks some packages OS. Distribution: Linux Mint15 Cinnamon. Please tell me what packages you need to install.

But the essence of my message even not in this. I understand that now GTK3 in Lazarus - it is a "headache". The last real edit the GTK3 in SVN was about 2 months ago. The emergence of GTK3 purpose for versions Lazarus 1.4 gives hope. But plans are not always brought to finals. Therefore, I ask to pay attention GTK3. This is really very much in demand!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:30:57 am by DimitriyPS »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 03:34:01 pm »
This is really very much in demand!

Please remember that you are writing to voluntary open source developers now.
The best way to speed up the development of GTK3 bindings is by offering your help.
Study the code, create code, make a patch...
Every developer has started by doing that same thing, sending patches.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

DimitriyPS

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 03:48:28 pm »
Please remember that you are writing to voluntary open source developers now.
The best way to speed up the development of GTK3 bindings is by offering your help.
Study the code, create code, make a patch...
Every developer has started by doing that same thing, sending patches.

Yes I can understand it. If my knowledge of Pascal and LCL would have been enough, I would have started with writing patches. But I do not have adequate knowledge for solution of such tasks.

Unfortunately, that is all I have left.

zeljko

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 07:17:00 am »
I tried to compile under GTK3, but lacks some packages OS. Distribution: Linux Mint15 Cinnamon. Please tell me what packages you need to install.

You must install *-dev packages of gtk3, pango and cairo.

DimitriyPS

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 12:56:31 pm »
You must install *-dev packages of gtk3, pango and cairo.

Unable to find the appropriate packages. Please tell me the approximate package names, distribution of Linux Mint 15.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 04:46:17 pm »
Unable to find the appropriate packages. Please tell me the approximate package names, distribution of Linux Mint 15.

I have not tried it yet myself but looking at Mint packages I would try libgtk-3-dev.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Rails

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 06:05:55 pm »
Finding these types of packages is easy using something like Synaptic, which should be available in the Mint repository.

Simply type "gtk", "3", and "dev" in the Find dialog as separate words, with Look in set to Name. That will bring up all the packages related to the group GTK, 3, and dev. You do it that way because the naming conventions aren't consistent. GTK3 and GTK-3 are both possibilities.

Do similar with pango and cairo.

From that point it should be easy to pick out which packages to try. I would start with Juha's suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:19:34 pm by Rails »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018