Recent

Author Topic: Reporting packages  (Read 19433 times)

timppl

Reporting packages
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:10:30 am »
Hello all

In the app I am porting from Delphi, there is heavy use of QuickReport; I know that there are LazReport and FortesReport available for lazarus. My problem is that I have never used any reporting packages, and know nothing about the compatibility or otherwise of these two packages with QuickReport. Is there any documentation showing equivalence of widgets/methods etc? Or anybody who can give me help?  I cant use QuickReport as I am working in Linux and want it to all be open source.

Mandriva 2011, GTK2

Regards

Tim
Mageia 8 Linux on x86

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Reporting packages
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:48:55 am »
Neither is compatible with QuickReport, AFAIK. So you're gonna have to change a lot of things.

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:10:39 am »
Uh... QR has already been quite a showstopper for some of my efforts to port Delphi progs to Lazarus...
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

fredbrastux

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:54:23 pm »
FortesReport is not 100% compatible with QuickReport, but is very similar. I migrated brazilian banking applications (boleto bancário / CNAB - FEBRABAM) from Delphi 5 to Lazarus/Freepascal, and I saved a lot of my time using FortesReport. In fact, the Quickreport versions 1-2-3 (Delphi 1-2-3-4-5) are not 100% compatible with 4 and above (Delphi 2007,2010 and XE).

patyi

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:39:26 pm »
Hi all !

I decide to help you a bit. In attachment you can find a small simple project for converting *.dfm and *.pas source files for several purposes.
This project is created long before Lazarus include converting module from Delphi units ... I use this application to convert database components from one to another
for example : Devarts MyDAC to Zeos and vice versa. When I converted my first serious project, an ERP application, I'm realized that LazReport is largely not cowered my needs and is much different in philosophy then QuickReport, and have a tonns of this reports ... I need to find something else or I can go farther.
Fortunately there are Fortes4Lazarus witch is so good and so close in philosophy to QuickReport and my needs ...

My steps to convert QuickReport to FortesReport :

Thees steps begins before converting anything with Lazarus, i mean with Delphi converter ...

1. Strongly recommend to backup all files on your project !
2. Check that is *.dfm of QuichReport file are in txt format (not in binary format)
3. Compile and run attached application, chose your application folder (F button) and one PAS file, then Open.
    (in right side in CheckListBox should bee listed *.dfm and *.pas files of your project)
4. Open substitution file : QuickRep_FortesRep.hdf and below QuickRep_FortesRep.hpa (L button)
   (you will see something like : QuickRep->RLReport etc. witch mean QuickRep word will bee substituted to RLReport word (-> is substitution sign or separator))
5. Check all *.dfm and *.pas files width green round tick button (on right side)
6. Click button E to execute substitutions for *.dfm (on left side) and do it below again for *.pas files.
That's it !  All files are backuped : *.pas as *.opa and *.dfm as *.odf

After this steps you can convert project with Lazarus->Tools->Convert Delphi project to Lazarus project ...

Known issues :
1. all font definitions are deleted
2. all borders-frames definitions are deleted
3. RLSubDetail bands are not correctly converted, needs manually correct (different then QuickReport)
4. RLSysteminfo  (QRSysData) have to check   
5. Composit report is totally different, need rewrite

So, it is far from perfection but I save hours and hours of work ...
On the end I like to thanks to developers for grate work of Fortes4Lazarus, it is powerful report generator, with big potential,
needs to fix some bugs but already is more then usable on my projects !
(sorry for my English, I hope you understand what I mean an find this information useful !   :D)

Regards, Patyi.

JD

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:04:08 pm »
FortesReport is very similar to QuickReport
LazReport is very similar to FastReport

Of course similar does not mean 100% compatibility. Be aware that all Lazarus reporting packages work in Linux so no problems there.
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

tatamata

• ZMSQL - SQL enhanced in-memory database
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:38:00 pm »
Fortes Report has no documentation available.
It might be more advanced than LazReport, but lack of any tutorial keeps me away...

JD

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 11:40:58 pm »
It might be more advanced than LazReport, but lack of any tutorial keeps me away...

I get by with FortesReport by asking LuizAmerico (the developer, I think), QuickReports 3 documentation and some trial and error.  :D
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

LuizAmérico

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 04:29:44 am »

Have you tried the official page?

http://fortes4lazarus.sourceforge.net/

patyi

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:09:26 am »
Hi all !

Developers thus came from Delphi and using QuickReport as report generator should bee familiar 90% with Fortes4Lazarus !
Major differences are on SubDetail implementation (Luiz point to the link where can you see how to ...), and
differences with Composit reports witch is by the way much easier then in QuickReport, just create reports as stand alone reports,
and in first report (master) set property NextReport with next report name and so on ...
Minor differences is that the report components has borders instead of frames etc. ...
Fortes4Lazarus has many small betterment - advantages towards QuickRep for example :
-   FRSystemInfo.Text := 'Page: # of #'; Info := itPagePreview;    => printing :  Page: 1 of 12
-   RLDBResut := 'Sum of the value : # in USD'; DataFormula := 'SUM(quantity*price)';   => printing :  Sum of the value : 123.125,52 in USD
-   You can use OnPrint, BeforPrint, AfterPrint ... methods to implement anything you want like in normal Lazarus form and components ...
and so on ...

You are free to explore abilities of this grate report generator, and will bee more and more surprised and satisfied with results ...  :D

timppl

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:11:24 am »
Hi all

Thank you all for your replies. I had guessed Fortes report would probably be the one to use ( only because it has more icons on the lazarus tab  :D ). I have downloaded the api document and will have a read of that, and see how I get on.

Regards

Tim
Mageia 8 Linux on x86

justapps

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 08:13:05 pm »
>>http://fortes4lazarus.sourceforge.net/

Forgive my ignorance but I have some questions.  I am using the Mac version of Lazarus on OSX Lion 10.7.3

1.  Will Fortes work in the Mac version of Lazarus?
2.  What version of Lazarus are you using?  I can't get Zeos to work under Lazarus version 0.9.31.36183-20120321 and I am using FPC 2.6.0

Brent

Daniel Simoes

• DJSystem
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 03:22:37 pm »
I know the topic is very old...

Just to update the information...

The actual (original) Fortes Report CE, is now compatible with Lazarus/FPC

https://github.com/fortesinformatica/fortesreport-ce

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 03:53:51 pm »
fcl-report is excellent (and included in the distribution), especially in the upcoming fpc 3.2.0. I prefer it over other solutions, but Fortes report is a good solution too.
The reason I prefer fpc-report is that it is highly advanced, more advanced than Fortes report, easy to use and recently written from the ground up in FreePascal.
And included as standard: Nowadays I try to use the supplied solutions first. I also use e.g. fcl-web/fcl-net instead of my beloved synapse for new -personal- projects.
It is a matter of taste. there's no Holy Grail.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:03:56 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018