Recent

Author Topic: building fpgui on Windows  (Read 9255 times)

J Peasemold Gruntfuttock

building fpgui on Windows
« on: January 12, 2016, 10:44:17 pm »
What is the least troublesome route to creating fpgui apps on windows please? Is there a simple, definitive user guide?

Thanks!

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: building fpgui on Windows
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:50:00 am »
Read docs/INSTALL.txt and learn by studying the examples, they're quite comprehensive.

J Peasemold Gruntfuttock

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 11:22:47 am »

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:47:27 pm »
Read docs/INSTALL.txt...
Thanks.
If you are using Lazarus IDE, you can also install the fpGUI add-on package which registers 2 or 3 new project types. So then it becomes as simple as: Project -> New... -> fpGUI application.

Take a look at the <fpgui>/extras/lazarus_ide/fpgui_ide.lpk package. Open, Compile, Install and new project types should be available.

There are also useful Code Templates in <fpgui>/extras/code_templates/ directory.

Similar project templates and code templates exist for MSEide users too... in the <fpgui>/extras/mseide_templates/ directory.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

J Peasemold Gruntfuttock

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:32:26 pm »
Thanks Graeme. I don't know Lazarus, so it is probably best not to multiply my problems for the moment. I shall develop a batch script to compile everything. One way of discovering what the dependencies are!

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 12:22:23 pm »
I don't know Lazarus, so it is probably best not to multiply my problems for the moment. I shall develop a batch script to compile everything. One way of discovering what the dependencies are!
You are not alone in that. I know many developers that prefer to do it that may.... sometimes simply for the reason that they love their programmer editor (be that VIM, Geany etc) and don't want to give that up.

fpGUI, by design, doesn't force or dictate any development tools on you. That is why everything included with fpGUI are stand-alone tools. The help viewer DocView, the visual forms designer UIDesigner, the image conversion tool etc.

To make compiling slightly easier from the command line, you can of course create your own build script. You could also take the idea used by the fpGUI demos and extend it to suite your needs. All fpGUI demos can be compiled from the command line via: 

Code: [Select]
fpc @extrafpc.cfg <projectname>
The extrafpc.cfg file simply contains the compiler parameters and search paths.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

J Peasemold Gruntfuttock

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 07:36:46 pm »
Just for fun I installed Lazarus which was painless, then compiled (apparently with success) and installed the fpgui_ide package and recompiled Lazarus. I was able to select fpgui toolkit application from the "create a new project" menu. However, on accepting that dialog an error is reported: the following package failed to load...fpgui_toolkit.

Same problem if I select fpgui+Agg2D application.

I'm using default paths in the Lazarus installation and fpgui itree root is c:\fpc\fpgui-1.4.4

FPC version 3.0.0.

I have a feeling that the error log for the package compilation or installation may contain a further clue, but I don't know how to view them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:11:03 pm by J Peasemold Gruntfuttock »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018