Recent

Author Topic: Groupbox not showing a bevel border (Newbie/Beginner Warning!)  (Read 9593 times)

Dasun

Newbie, running linux mint and compiling for gtk2. I put a groupbox on a form and much to my surprise, no beveled border - just the caption!  Tried various things but still no beveled border (like in windows).  What magic do I use?

Also, how to compile to Qt - I get Qt4.pas missing or something similar when I try ...

Appreciate any help..

Edit - Changed Title
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:08:25 pm by Dasun »

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
Re: Groupbox not showing a bevel border ...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 03:18:22 pm »
I use Linux+Qt and some themes simply does not implement bevel around group box (for example a new theme Breeze from Plasma5).
Try to change your GTk theme, maybe bevel will appear.

For compiling Lazarus with Qt, you need libQt4pas.so. Try to install it from Mint repositories. If it is not there, download it from here: http://users.telenet.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qtforfpc/fpcqt4.html
Copy the file to /usr/lib (or where Mint has libraries) and also create version symlinks:
file: /usr/lib64/libQt4Pas.so.5.2.5
link: /usr/lib64/libQt4Pas.so.5.2
link: /usr/lib64/libQt4Pas.so.5
link: /usr/lib64/libQt4Pas.so

Then run ldconfig as a superuser.
Finally, set Qt in the "Configure Build dialog" and rebuild Lazarus.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

Dasun

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 03:39:15 pm »
Thank you Blaazan for the explanation - will give QT a go ...seems odd not to have a bevel around a groupbox that seems like a very basic elemental groupbox thing to me - and the examples online show it!

Dasun

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 04:15:27 pm »
Got QT4 to work - with a truckload of warnings, mostly to do with string conversions - and still no beveled groupbox!!  How does one go about setting themes in QT?  And does someone have a theme that produces a beveld groupbox ...

FTurtle

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 06:37:02 pm »
Just in case look this bugreport:

http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=25868

Dasun

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 07:51:41 pm »
Okaaaaay ... Compiles with GTK, QT and fpGUI are all not showing a beveled border for a groupbox - this seems kind of fundamental and more than a little odd because this is what groupboxes do.  Any suggestions to get a beveled border appreciated... I have run out of ideas to try after several hours! 

Dasun

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 07:03:34 am »
No luck getting a beveled groupbox border to show - Not sure if this is a groupbox bug, by design or a feature.  Has anyone got a groupbox beveled border to show on Linux Mint 17.3?

Moving on - because I have wasted enough time on this seemingly trivial issue.  A Tpanel seems like a workable groupbox replacement - nice beveled border - but how can I get a caption to appear on the top bevel bar - like in a real groupbox.  A label is ending up behind the panel regardless of Z position selected...

Hope someone can assist, 2 days trying to sort a groupbox is not a happy intro to FreePascal!!

Dasun

Re: Groupbox not showing a bevel border ...(Newbie/Beginner Warning!)
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 01:06:35 pm »
For newbies..if groupboxes with bevelled borders are part of your design then you might want to rethink using Lazarus. I am working with Mint 17.3 MATE and after 3 days I can find no workable aesthetic way to achieve a bevelled border for groupboxes.

fpGUI can produced bevelled groupbox borders but I am not comfortable with this option.  The widget set is limited and it is separate to LCL but it does seem to work well.  In addition  it seems largely the work of one and that concerns me from a longevity perspective.

Panels can produce a nice bevelled border but I an not get the label to look groupbox right.

Tabcontrols could be a substitute but tabsheet colour is not can not be set and I can not achieve the aesthetic I  want - something that can pass for a groupbox with a bevelled border.

I could not get QT4 themes working and do not know if that might fix this issue....

Again I ask the seasoned vets  - does anyone here have an LCL groupbox control with a bevelled border (Both on Linux and Windows)?  This seems a stunningly basic requirement and - unless I am at fault somehow -it is a showstopper for using Lazarus if you need a groupbox control on multi-platform applications.

I welcome discussion/ideas ...

stem

Re: Groupbox not showing a bevel border (Newbie/Beginner Warning!)
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 08:45:49 pm »
I've also had this problem with my multi-platform application. I've changed the theme settings in "Linux Mint 17 Xfce Edition", now I can see the borders in groupboxes and dividers in the toolbar.

I'm using Linux Mint in German and found the settings there:
Einstellungen -> Erscheinungsbild -> Oberfläche
(should be Settings -> Appearance -> Surface)

The first theme was "Mint-X", I've changed it to "Clearlooks" and now I'm satisfied.  ;)

So it seems there is no problem with Lazarus, you only have to tell Linux how you want its windows to look like.  :)

stem

TinyPortal © 2005-2018