Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus Cross-Platform Project  (Read 27681 times)

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
Re: Lazarus Cross-Platform Project
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 11:45:32 pm »
LazarusX sounds bad, keep it as it's now. Not native speakers like me will not read the X as "cross" but "ex" that is translated to Lazarusex, understand the problem?

Akira1364

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 03:32:40 am »
For what it's worth, no native English speaker (trust me, I am one) would ever read it as "cross" to begin with.
Standalone X's are always assumed to be pronounced "ex", in all contexts. Also, what's wrong with "Lazarusex"? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:08:02 pm by Akira1364 »

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 08:00:21 am »
X is always assumed to be pronounced "ex", in all contexts.
;)
Nope, that's not correct. Pronounce "Xanthippe". If the X is the first character it is pronounced close to or equal to S.  >:D Depending on social class.  O:-) ::) :P
Depending on education or lack of it one may also hear "Ks", which is wrong of course. >:(

To make matters worse, it is legal to pronounce X as K in that context. My classics teacher insisted on "K", whereas my history teacher insisted on "S".
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:11:39 am by Thaddy »
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

Akira1364

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 05:07:23 pm »
X is always assumed to be pronounced "ex", in all contexts.
;)
Nope, that's not correct. Pronounce "Xanthippe". If the X is the first character it is pronounced close to or equal to S.  >:D Depending on social class.  O:-) ::) :P
Depending on education or lack of it one may also hear "Ks", which is wrong of course. >:(

To make matters worse, it is legal to pronounce X as K in that context. My classics teacher insisted on "K", whereas my history teacher insisted on "S".

Well yeah, of course you're right about that. Xanthippe is certainly pronounced "Szanthippe." It's just so inherently obvious to me (again, as a native English speaker) that I didn't word my post clearly enough. I've edited it to reflect what I really meant, which is that an arbitrary X on its own is (and should be) always assumed to be prononouced "Ex."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:47:11 am by Akira1364 »

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 05:50:27 pm »
How about Crazarus or Lazross?

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 07:32:19 pm »
Why the short names?  Are we still thinking DOS? :)

How about Lazarus-X-Compile?
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 07:47:52 pm »
Maybe we can use other words to replace "cross" and "compile".

How about Lazarus Multi Target.

Phil

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 02:01:22 am »
Ah, so many suggestions. I assume that means you’re all using LazXProj, right?

A few comments on pronunciation:

- In English, X at the beginning of a word is pronounced Z, with very few exceptions. Xylophone, Xerxes, xenophobia, Xamarin: Z, Z, Z, Z.

- If X stands alone or forms a syllable by itself, it’s usually “eks”. In software development, X has long stood for the “cross” in cross-platform, as in “xplat” (which to my ear sounds like “egg splat” - hence a term to avoid).

- But not always. Take the case of OS X: Often mispronounced as “oh ess eks”, but since the X is a Roman numeral, the correct pronunciation is “oh ess ten”.

- Or is it? Take Apple’s IDE, Xcode. Substitute for X: “Ten code”? I don’t think so. “Cross code”? But it’s a platform-specific IDE. So the X refers to the X in OS X, but isn’t pronounced the same? Hmm. The recent retirement of “OS X” in favor of “macOS” is thus a welcome development and not just because it’s consistent with iOS, watchOS and tvOS. But the internal versioning scheme hasn’t changed: macOS Sierra is version 10.12, which follows OS X El Capitan’s 10.11, etc.

- Re LazXProj: I don’t care how you pronounce it, as long as it’s useful.

Akira1364

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 02:36:37 am »
Why the short names?  Are we still thinking DOS? :)

LAZCR~1.EXE, maybe?  :D

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 09:19:56 am »
No, it should match 8.3. LAZCR~1.EXE  doesn't match the short name....
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

Akira1364

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 04:44:45 pm »
Yeah, I suppose the tilde only showed up for "invalid characters", didn't it? So it'd just be LAZCROSS.EXE, depending on what the actual long name was. Anyways though, I don't think this matters? :P Please don't actually call it this!

AlexTP

• UVviewsoft
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 05:17:26 pm »
LazarusX is one exampe, try another ones: LazarusCross, LazCross, LazCrossLib, LazMul, LazMultiLib

mijen67

• It's hard to beat the bandwidth of a flying DVD
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 05:35:31 pm »
See this short article for more info and source code:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28343282/MacXPlatform/LazXProj.html

As noted elsewhere, as of today (Oct. 3), you can no longer use Dropbox to serve up Web pages. So I've moved my articles and whatnots to GitHub Pages:

https://macpgmr.github.io

If you're curious about GitHub Pages, here are the instructions that I followed. Very painless to set up.

https://pages.github.com/

I noticed on the Mac App Store about a zillion Git clients. Any Mac users here familiar with any of these? Or used GitHub's Desktop? (Or Xcode's built-in Git support?)

Ok, to continue in this old thread?

I just tried to add package lazxproj to Lazarus, which created a warning, something with Lazarus currently only supporting static linking ... and therefore had to be recompiled.

Next I tried to create new "LazXProj" project and received the message:

Division by zero.
Pres OK to ignore and risk data corruption.
Press Abort to kill the program.

I tried to follow the instructions here:
https://macpgmr.github.io/MacXPlatform/LazXProj.html

What might be causing this?

Note: I'm using Lazarus Version 1.8.2, FPC 3.04.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:39:21 pm by mijen67 »

Phil

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 05:42:59 pm »

Division by zero.

You did see the note in the File | New | Cross-Platform Desktop App description, right? "Important!  If Lazarus throws a "division by zero" exception after creating the new project, for now just click OK to ignore it."

This is a one-time thing for the project caused by a Lazarus bug - it doesn't seem to be able to open the project just created without throwing this error.

If you're afraid this has destabilized your running Laz instance, just shut it down and start Laz again, then open the new .lpi. You'll be fine.

mijen67

• It's hard to beat the bandwidth of a flying DVD
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 05:51:08 pm »

Division by zero.

You did see the note in the File | New | Cross-Platform Desktop App description, right?

Nope. Reason is default window doesn't show it, I had to increase window size to see the warning.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:58:46 pm by mijen67 »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018