Recent

Author Topic: An unikernel in freepascal?  (Read 3971 times)

z0rr0

An unikernel in freepascal?
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:54:30 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have the felling that unikernels are becoming more and more popular, e.g., mirageOS, OSv. I have worked in the unikernel Toro since 2006 (http://torokernel.io), which is implemented in fpc and it relies on x86-64 arch. From any fpc application and by using some tools, the application is compiled within the kernel, and then, it is created a .img which can be run either bare-metal or by using QEMU. In this sense, the tooling is very similar than unik.
A couple of months ago, I started to work with virtualization technologies, i.e., XEN , so I am planning to port Toro to XEN. By doing so, It will be possible to compile any fpc application together with the kernel and then use some cloud service to run it, e.g., AWS.
I am planning to do this only for fun. However, I am posting here to know if there is a real interest to do that. In other words, can this be useful for fpc community?

Any feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:59:10 pm by z0rr0 »

z0rr0

Re: An unikernel in freepascal?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 02:30:45 pm »
I will tray to illustrate with a simple example. In figure 1), I compile ToroHello.pas and I create an .img that can boot by using the script CloudIt.sh. Then, in figure 2), This image is use to run an instance of a VM in QEMU which runs the application. For the moment, the kernel that I am using is not a PV kernel. The idea is to port the kernel to Xen. This will leverage on current cloud services like AWS.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:53:47 pm by z0rr0 »

mai

• truther
A unikernel in freepascal?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 01:58:57 pm »
I'd love to see and run a Pascal UniKernel !   What are the steps to get there ?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:10:22 pm by mai »

mai

• truther
A unikernel in freepascal?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 02:09:46 pm »
Barebone unikernel OS for Raspberry Pi, written in Object Pascal

ultibo.org

note, it is "a unikernel" , not "An UniKernel"
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:11:21 pm by mai »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018