Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 835908 times)

Trenatos

• MarcusFernstrom.com
Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #1350 on: July 11, 2018, 10:10:05 pm »
Is there any way we could get descriptions for the various packages?

I've no idea what most of them are, and there's no easy way to find out.

I know we can't be updating all their repos, but could we add an internal OPM description section?

balazsszekely

« Reply #1351 on: July 12, 2018, 06:32:17 am »
@wp
I updated IndustrialStuff. Everything went well, thanks for the new version.

After finishing the port I realized that the same component is contained also in the CodeTyphon package pl_ExControls. So, if somebody installs both packages there will be a naming conflict.
I will leave it as it is for now until the faith of pl_* packages will be decided. It looks like the genuine CT packages are rare. By genuine I mean is developed by them or maintained only by them. More over as time passes by it becomes evident that the CT package system is a mess(how pl organize they packages is beyond me, I do not understand the logic). I'm still not against them, but I see no reason to switch to CT nowadays.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:41:51 am by GetMem »

balazsszekely

« Reply #1352 on: July 12, 2018, 06:39:53 am »
@Trenatos
Is there any way we could get descriptions for the various packages?
Just hover the mouse over a meta package(root node). It will display the info for every lpk file(see attached image). The behaviour of the hint window can be changed in the option.

I've no idea what most of them are.
Neither do I.

I know we can't be updating all their repos, but could we add an internal OPM description section?
If you(or somebody else) is willing to test 243 lpk files, review it and write a detailed description, I will add an extra row with an internal OPM description. This is a promise.

wp

« Reply #1353 on: July 12, 2018, 09:34:05 am »
And who updates that?

The description is contained within the lpk file, and it is the task of the package owner to provide a good description. Unfortunately, many package owners put little effort into the description.

A good example: "ATTabs"
ATTabs: component for lite tabs. OS independent, fully custom drawn.
- can show x-icons in many styles
- can show plus pseudo-tab
- can show scroll arrows if lot of tabs
- can show flat tabs (Material style)
- can use multi-line mode
- can show colored tabs
- can show drop-down tab menu
- can show icons/numbers on tabs
- can confirm tab closing
- allow tab owner-draw
- drag-drop tabs, also to another control
etc.

ATGroups: several page-controls (up to 6), based on ATTabs, groups auto-arranged, with commands to move tabs between groups.

A bad example (one of "my" packages - I will have to change it soon): "TvPlanIt"
Lazarus Port of Turbo Power's VisualPlanIt components based on version 1.0.3.
(Runtime package)

The only thing which you can do is to try to contact the author and request him to update the package description.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #1354 on: July 12, 2018, 11:32:53 am »
I added the component TA3nalogGauge to the IndustrialStuff package
After finishing the port I realized that the same component is contained also in the CodeTyphon package pl_ExControls. So, if somebody installs both packages there will be a naming conflict.
Could you please add some prefix to that component and units to avoid naming conflict? You have to do it only once and problem will be solved for good. I would do it for pl_ExControls but that is not that easy because they get automatically converted each time from CodeTyphon.
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

Trenatos

• MarcusFernstrom.com
« Reply #1355 on: July 12, 2018, 04:20:14 pm »
@GetMem @wp

My point is that we, as a community, could come up with enough of a description that searching the OPM might be useful even when you don't know which package you're looking for.

I'm happy to work on some descriptions, as just having the packages available is an absolutely great start, a good addition would be descriptions.

Yes, I agree that package owners should have proper descriptions, but often they don't even when their packages are useful.

I'm not saying we should track every little thing and keep the OPM descriptions up to date with every update of every package, I'd just like a way to add a general description that doesn't rely on the package.

IE. "This package gives you functionality for working with spreadsheets" is better than nothing.

wp

« Reply #1356 on: July 12, 2018, 04:33:27 pm »
Here's an idea which gives everybody the possibility to improve the descriptions: What about a wiki-page listing all packages available via OPM consisting of package title as displayed in the first OPM column and a description, maybe also a screenshot, similar to http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Application_Gallery ? Every user registered to the wiki would be able to improve these descriptions even if the author of the package has disappeared. And OPM could even link to this site, in addition to the regular description.

Trenatos

• MarcusFernstrom.com
« Reply #1357 on: July 12, 2018, 04:45:35 pm »
I like it, but only if we can get the descriptions added to the OPM tool in Lazarus OR there's a link in there that opens the wiki page (Less good solution but at least there'd be a path)

The Wiki in general is plagued by bad upkeep, but if we keep a link between OPM and the page, it might not get lost in the Someone-Elses-Problem field over time.

wp

« Reply #1358 on: July 12, 2018, 04:59:24 pm »
I added the component TA3nalogGauge to the IndustrialStuff package
Could you please add some prefix to that component and units to avoid naming conflict? You have to do it only once and problem will be solved for good. I would do it for pl_ExControls but that is not that easy because they get automatically converted each time from CodeTyphon.
Sorry I was shouting too early. Looking more carefully if found:
  • The unit is named "TplA3nalogGaugeUnit" in pl_ExControls, but "a3naloggauge" in industrialstuff.
  • And the class is named "TplA3nalogGauge" in pl_ExControls, but "TA3nalogGauge" in industrialstuff (without the "pl")
BTW, when I first saw this unit I wondered about the strange name. Well, the "A3" stands for the three As in "AntiAliasedAnalogGauge"

Trenatos

• MarcusFernstrom.com
« Reply #1359 on: July 13, 2018, 03:37:07 pm »
I'm having an odd issue with the OPM where I can't install anything.

When I click the Install button, the buttons just disappear and nothing appears to happen.

OS X, trunk FPC and Laz, x64

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #1360 on: July 13, 2018, 03:40:40 pm »
OSX version: than I can maybe test.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Trenatos

• MarcusFernstrom.com
« Reply #1361 on: July 13, 2018, 03:42:23 pm »
10.11.5 - El Capitan

balazsszekely

« Reply #1362 on: July 13, 2018, 04:11:16 pm »
@Trenatos
What widget set are you using? TToolbar is not working properly under cocoa hence the bug. If the WS is not cocoa please file a bug report or please provide more steps to reproduce the issue.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:14:16 pm by GetMem »

Trenatos

• MarcusFernstrom.com
« Reply #1363 on: July 13, 2018, 04:28:02 pm »
It's Cocoa.

I noticed that labels have a weird issue as well, they show up if I modify the height but not before.

mtournay

« Reply #1364 on: August 02, 2018, 04:26:29 pm »
Hi there

There's a new version of zeoslib (v7.2)
In OPM it's still v7.1

Who is responsible of this package ?

btw, imho, there should be a sub-forum for OPM, this thread is toooo long
laz 2.06 32b - fpc 3.04 32b - win10 64b

TinyPortal © 2005-2018