Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 835886 times)

wp

Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #1500 on: January 11, 2019, 09:47:10 am »
In my opinion your changes are safe.
Normally yes, but there are so many stupid errors, and I only believe that it is safe when the changed version really does compile.

I don't see why different widgetset would behave differently in this context. More over you did it with ifdef, so Lazarus 2.0 with FPC 3.0.4 is not effected.
Yes, essentially it is a Windows-only change related to some ActiveX thing. But the other widgetsets use some faked ActiveX unit. Since the call from VTV to that function must be valid in all widgetsets the faked ActiveX routines must be changed as well. I am not absolutely sure that all the changes were necessary because I have the feeling that some of the other-widgetset code is no longer used. And as I said - there are so many stupid errors...

af0815

« Reply #1501 on: January 11, 2019, 04:54:24 pm »
It is an changed Interfacedeclaration, not an simple function change , so all widgetsets are affect, if they use the interface. If they have an fake ActiveX, using this Interface, it will also rise an error on a (clean) recompile.

So i think - my point of view - it will be very fast raised :-) or not, if it is windows only.

BTW: VTV is on Version 7.1. And Lazarus have (with OPM) V5 and IMHO trouble to use V4, if you (want) to use OPM. How will it work if somebody create VTV V6 or VTV V7 ? Or is this a question only for the VTV maintainer?
regards
Andreas

wp

« Reply #1502 on: January 11, 2019, 05:35:24 pm »
BTW: VTV is on Version 7.1. And Lazarus have (with OPM) V5 and IMHO trouble to use V4, if you (want) to use OPM. How will it work if somebody create VTV V6 or VTV V7 ? Or is this a question only for the VTV maintainer?
GetMem, looking back I think it was a wise decision in your first version of OPM in which you have renamed everything of VTV to a lazarus-only version, and I who was among those who urged you to use the standard VTV was wrong... Having a Lazarus-only VTV would have solved all these issues, it would also have solved the ugly compatibility merging issues of our version to the official repo.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1503 on: January 11, 2019, 06:22:41 pm »
af0815
t is an changed Interfacedeclaration, not an simple function change , so all widgetsets are affect, if they use the interface. If they have an fake ActiveX, using this Interface, it will also rise an error on a (clean) recompile.
So i think - my point of view - it will be very fast raised :-) or not, if it is windows only.
Of course it will be raised, but @wp fixed for every widgetset supported by VTV. More over he did it with ifdef, so Lazarus 2.0/FPC 3.0.4(the latest official release) won't be effected. Other issues with newer version of FPC(if any) can be fixed later in trunk.

VTV5 is the highest version which will compile with FPC 3.0.4. V6+ needs some advanced generic features. More over, according to the package maintainer(@luiz) the large part of the new features in V6 is windows specific. So you don't gain anything by using V6 unless of course you're under windows. The real issue is that you cannot use other version then v5 while OPM is installed. 

@wp
looking back I think it was a wise decision in your first version of OPM in which you have renamed everything of VTV to a lazarus-only version, and I who was among those who urged you to use the standard VTV was wrong... Having a Lazarus-only VTV would have solved all these issues, it would also have solved the ugly compatibility merging issues of our version to the official repo.
In theory we still can go back to that configuration, it shouldn't take more then 30 minutes to make the necessary adjustments. The real issue is to convince some core developers to go back to the previous stage. It took 1.5 years until VTV was allowed to trunk, now it would be really strange to suggest to delete it.  :) Anyways I would choose v5 this time, since you and others added cool new features like support for: high dpi, arm processors, cocoa/qt5 widgetsets, etc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:28:49 pm by GetMem »

wp

« Reply #1504 on: January 11, 2019, 07:30:22 pm »
It took 1.5 years until VTV was allowed to trunk, now it would be really strange to suggest to delete it.
Sometimes decisions turn out to be wrong, that's life. Do you want to contact the other devs, or should I do?

balazsszekely

« Reply #1505 on: January 11, 2019, 07:33:16 pm »
Do you want to contact the other devs, or should I do?
Please do, but I think is too late for 2.0 anyways.

wp

« Reply #1506 on: January 14, 2019, 12:01:29 pm »
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, or if something is wrong on my side. But when I use OPM to install a package, such as ATBinHex, on Laz-trunk / fpc-3.0.4 / 64 bit on Win10 the download and compilation work find, but the IDE is not rebuilt. Going to "Package" > "Install/unistall packages" I see the package in the right list "Available for installation".

When I do the same with Laz-trunk / fpc-3.0.4 / 32 bit everything is ok.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1507 on: January 14, 2019, 12:16:04 pm »
After a quick test, the install process works fine here(64 bit Lazarus trunk/FPC 3.0.4). The IDE is rebuilded.

wp

« Reply #1508 on: January 14, 2019, 12:39:26 pm »
Strange. Or is there an option to turn automatic installation off although I did not see it?

guest63552

« Reply #1509 on: January 14, 2019, 12:49:04 pm »
Is it possible to add notification that zip file exist for each shown package?

That is useful when delete/reinstall Lazarus completely, checking it briefly in order to install it from saved local archive, instead to DL it again.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1510 on: January 14, 2019, 12:52:34 pm »
@wp
No, you cannot turn off installation, however you can turn off the re-download of a package. Please see: Options-->Always force download and extract. If the force download is off, and you have an older version of that package in the local repository, things might go wrong.
Anyways can you please open opkman_mainfrm, and put a breakpoint at line 890(tbInstall click) and see where the installation goes wrong. It shouldn't take more then 1-2 minutes, I would do it myself but there is no error at my side.

@po123
Just uncheck the "Always force download and extract", if the zip is available in the local repository, OPM should install it from there.
As for a visual feedback, please check attached image. You can see the following text:
  Repository -->the package is available in the central repository
  Downloaded --> the package is already downloaded, is available in the local repository
  Extracted-->self explanatory
  Installed-->self explanatory
  Up to date --> the version installed is the same as the one in the central repository or the developers webpage(if available)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:02:23 pm by GetMem »

guest63552

« Reply #1511 on: January 14, 2019, 01:02:34 pm »
@po123
Just uncheck the "Always force download and extract", if the zip is available in the local repository, OPM should install it from there.

Yes, I know, but there is many of zip files and each package must be checked individually in order to install it. There is no visual indication in VTV that zip for specific package exists.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1512 on: January 14, 2019, 01:23:42 pm »
@po123
I updated my previous post.

guest63552

« Reply #1513 on: January 14, 2019, 01:40:03 pm »
I updated my previous post.

Thank you, I see.

Only problem is that VTV tree need to be totally expanded, which yields 150*10 (at least ) nodes. Since VTV is quite versatile, I would suggest background color for collapsed tree nodes and each status...

In the mean time, this should be enough, thank you once again for pointing out.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1514 on: January 14, 2019, 01:46:55 pm »
@po123
Believe it or not initially was with different colors, but then people started to complain about to much color and "my eyes hurts", more over with some dark theme the text is not visible. Now the only colored text is the "up to date" message.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018