Recent

Author Topic: Ubuntu (16) Why is Lazarus visible in Synaptic but not Ubuntu Software?  (Read 5801 times)

Memnarch

Just installed a new VM with Ubuntu 16 TLS. Compared to 15 and 14 i feel really uncomfortable with the "new" Software Center. It seems the search ignores everything from the non Ubuntu-Repos. Under settings i have enabled all (Canontial+Legal stuff). When i use Synaptic i see much more. For example Synaptic Displays the current Lazarus 1.6 + fpc 3 packages.

I know i can manually download the DEB files (which i have done in the past, without problems). But right now i am really curios. Am i something missing? I have to admit that i am more of a windows user but peek into the Linux-World from time to time.

Greetings
Memnarch
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:44:02 am by Memnarch »

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
Re: Ubuntu (16) Why is Lazarus visible in Synaptic but not Ubuntu Software?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:33:21 am »
If you see it, it is safe to install. UBUNTU presents you also with the standard Debian options for the Debian version that the UBUNTU version is based on.
That can be even Debian testing as is the case here, I believe. (As Jessie contains a 2.6.4 install,which is outdated)
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:03:41 am »
You're not missing anything. It is doing that by design (not all synaptics packages are there, yet not all apps there are in synaptics, no idea about the selection criteria). You might encounter paid apps as well there, while on synaptic everything is downloadable directly.

Memnarch

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:47:50 am »
Okay, this is really strange, as it seems that Synaptic uses the same Repository-Configuration.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 12:58:28 pm »
Ubuntu as a desktop OS is not very good now.
They are putting more effort to mobile and cloud computing.
 https://www.ubuntu.com/phone
 https://www.ubuntu.com/cloud
They both are good things but the desktop offering feels too experimental right now.
Just use another distro and your problems are solved.

I currently use Manjaro + KDE and I am very happy with it, but there are many good choices.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 02:58:47 pm »
Okay, this is really strange, as it seems that Synaptic uses the same Repository-Configuration.
As I said earlier (well, implicitly), there are things that are shared. But there are also things that are specific to each. Maybe a little reading of the motivation behind software center can lighten you up.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 03:21:19 pm »
Ubuntu as a desktop OS is not very good now.
They are putting more effort to mobile and cloud computing.
 https://www.ubuntu.com/phone
 https://www.ubuntu.com/cloud
They both are good things but the desktop offering feels too experimental right now.
Just use another distro and your problems are solved.

I currently use Manjaro + KDE and I am very happy with it, but there are many good choices.

I used Ubuntu until they force user to use Unity, so I moved to Ubuntu Mate. Ubuntu Mate was okay, but until I upgraded to Ubuntu Mate 16.10 yesterday. My Ubuntu Mate 16.10 can't start if I install VGA driver provided by NVIDIA even on the information said it was tested. I have performed clean install of Ubuntu Mate + NVDIA drivers both version 367.57 and 340.98, the result were same: crash on starting. I checked the web, many users already reported that latest version of Ubuntu will crash if using NVIDIA drivers. So I now have to use VGA driver provided by X.Org.

Also, the thing I hate most  >:( is Ubuntu Mate 16.10 removes Task Manager (Genome System Monitor) on its default installation. Genome System Monitor is very useful to monitor system resources and killing tasks, which is very handy for programmers.

Ubuntu downfall!

Memnarch

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 05:37:31 pm »
Now giving Manjaro + BudgieDesktop a try.

Memnarch

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 08:52:05 pm »
Sorry for  the Doppelpost, but i wanted to end this thread with a final response:

Manjaro (+Budgie Desktop + Evopop Theme) seems to be awesome. Good first impression. Everything is there.

Greetings
Memnarch

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 09:14:00 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion. It sounds interesting, will be sure to try.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018