Recent

Author Topic: Rant: Lazarus on Linux: messed up. Completely.  (Read 39575 times)

mai

• truther
Re: Rant: Lazarus on Linux: messed up. Completely.
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2017, 06:12:29 am »
I did use Delphi back in 1990's

seems like a pinnacle of software even 20 years later. That's all I'm saying.

compare that to Apple LISA - Pascal of the 1980's which is absolutely abysmal ...

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:35 am »
Why do you stop using Delphi but use Lazarus?

I mean Lazarus is buggy. Yes, I agree with you, Lazarus is buggy. Because I really found many bugs. Luckily I can make it works.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:19:01 am by Handoko »

munair

• compiler developer @SharpBASIC
    • SharpBASIC
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2017, 07:44:30 am »
Yeah, the whole (pascal) world is wrong and you are right.
Can you please stop whining about problems only you seem to have?
If it is so bad then why not contribute to this project yourself instead of only making negative whining.

Dude I'm a truther and you can't cope with reality. You must suppress all utterings about the true state of affairs so you can stick to your belief system that you are Bill Gates II.

Well, let me tell you about truth and reality then.  :-*

Do you realize that Lazarus and FPC are gigantic projects done by volunteers using their spare time? Have you ever tried to write a compiler yourself? If so, you know the expertise it requires. Have you ever tried to develop RAD software? Do you know how many years it would take for a single individual to write the many lines that the Lazarus project contains? Not to mention the free pascal compiler?

Have you paid for any service to get support? Lazarus and FPC are free software. You can download and use them without paying a dime. Did the volunteers promise you a perfectly working suite? No!

Considering all this, how dare you complain! Lazarus/FPC is a great effort. Consider what FPC allows you to do. Delphi doesn't even come close. So take it or leave it. Complaining accomplishes nothing. If you want a perfectly running suite (which doesn't exist) then stick to proprietery alternatives and pay for the services/bug fixes you want.

Considering where Lazarus was 10 years ago and where it is now, the coders have done a remarkable job. If you are frustrated then don't blame Lazarus/FPC. If you want to develop for the Linux platform so badly, then use the development tools that work for you (there are many) and accept the fact that Linux for the most part is open-source free software. Companies will never write full fledged RAD tools like Delphi or Visual Studio for Linux because there's no profit in there. Maybe that's what your frustration should target.

This is my final comment on the matter.  8-)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:56:21 am by Munair »
keep it simple

balazsszekely

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2017, 08:11:21 am »
I'm perplexed by the fact that @mai is still here. When @Munair, @Thaddy and myself talked about interesting scientific facts it was labeled off topic. OK I'm fine with that, actually it was off topic, but what @mai has done in the last few days is unacceptable. He infested every opened thread with rant about Lazarus/FPC, basically he calls us stupid liars, more over he even modified the Wikipedia, spreading FUD and lies. How long we have to tolerate the super off topic troll? @marcov any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:51:43 am by GetMem »

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2017, 08:42:26 am »
Yeah, the whole (pascal) world is wrong and you are right.
Can you please stop whining about problems only you seem to have?
If it is so bad then why not contribute to this project yourself instead of only making negative whining.

Dude I'm a truther and you can't cope with reality. You must suppress all utterings about the true state of affairs so you can stick to your belief system that you are Bill Gates II.

You have bad experience. That is the fact. You shared your bad experience. That is also fine. People tried to help you in various ways. We saw that your bad experience with at least fpcupdeluxe was because you didn't read documentation and that you misused the tool. I am glad that at the end at least fpcupdeluxe worked for you. But what is not nice from your side is that when people are saying that nobody can reproduce your exact situation, and when people here are sharing mostly positive experience, you call us liers (if I remember well you used the words of people belonging to some cult). That is not nice at all, and I really think that I will not try to help you any more. Do you know how many hours in total was spent by various people on this forum while they were just trying to help? Trying to reproduce your problem takes clean Debian (which takes time) and Lazarus installation (repo, deb, src, fpcupdeluxe also take time). You got it all for free, and you do not respect that, just ranting and infecting so many topics. What do you expect? Tolerance has limits, at lest mine has. You just can't stand that majority does not share your opinion and your bad experience. Well, find another community. Pretty please!
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

del

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2017, 04:16:16 am »
I kinda thrashed around with various attempts with tarballs and sudo apt-gets and the Mint Software Manager, etc. But the only thing that really got any traction was fpcupdeluxe.

It wasn't perfect but it got things up and running and most of my windows code was good to go. Had to deal with some package stuff and TBitmap scanline stuff (now use TBGRABitmap), but all in all it's been a good time.  8)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018