Recent

Author Topic: auto- create a documentation (like doxygen)  (Read 3626 times)

am2

auto- create a documentation (like doxygen)
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:28:39 pm »
Hi,

is there a way to get the IDE to create an auto- documentation based on the commented source code (like doxygen, javadoc or anything like that)?

I read about fpdoc.
I tried this out, but until now it doesn't seem to be the thing I look for

I read about pas2doc, but I only found 14 year old stuff. Do I look at the wrong place?

Is there another tool?

Many thanks in advance.

am2

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: auto- create a documentation (like doxygen)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:31:00 pm »
fpdoc follows the documentation NOT in source approach.

Other than that there is pas2doc, and afaik there are some projects that maintain their own versions because of its age.

I'm in the fpdoc camp, so I don't know the exact pas2doc details.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:35:45 pm »
is there a way to get the IDE to create an auto- documentation based on the commented source code (like doxygen, javadoc or anything like that)?
Use pasdoc if you like that approach, I don't.

am2

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:45:30 pm »
Thanks for your answers. Does anyone know, where to find an actual pas2doc- project/version?

(As far as I understood in fpdoc you have to document all things manually, there is no autoscan, that finds any dependencies and if you use a unit within another project you have to document changes in both projects manually. Is this right or do I understand anything wrong?)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 01:42:14 pm »
I think it is "pasdoc" not pas2doc.

fpdoc afaik doesn't scans sources automatically (you must provide it with a list of units), but you can split up your doc files in a common part and a noncommon part.

The non scanning is probably for two reasons (1) easier, (2) to avoid generating too many empty skeletons.

The engine is making a lot of progress lately, so a patch to make this easier will probably be honoured

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 07:43:30 pm »
Thanks for your answers. Does anyone know, where to find an actual pas2doc- project/version?
Just in case you still can't find it after marco's hint: https://github.com/pasdoc/pasdoc
(As far as I understood in fpdoc you have to document all things manually, there is no autoscan, that finds any dependencies and if you use a unit within another project you have to document changes in both projects manually. Is this right or do I understand anything wrong?)
AFAIU what you mean, no. You document a unit once and refer to it later when generating documentation for any projects using that unit. It all depends on how comprehensive you want the documentation to be. If you pass relevant doc file for a unit, then it will be generated, otherwise it won't be a browseable link.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018