Recent

Author Topic: [Solved] Go32v2 installation for compiling from windows  (Read 4749 times)

ppardo

[Solved] Go32v2 installation for compiling from windows
« on: June 01, 2017, 05:21:19 pm »
Hi,
I download dos302full.zip follow instructions
**************************************************************************** * Quick start - DOS **************************************************************************** Download distribution archive (dos300.zip for GO32v2) and unzip it into a temporary directory. Start the install program INSTALL.EXE and follow the instructions. Don't forget to set PATH as mentioned by the install program. If running under plain DOS, this can be done by opening file named AUTOEXEC.BAT located in the root directory of your boot drive (usually C:\) with a plain text editor (like EDIT.COM), extending the line starting with "set PATH=" (case insensitive) with path to newly installed binaries (installation root as selected in the installation program appended with "\BIN\GO32v2") and save it. To test the compiler, change to the demo\texts directory of the FPC tree and type fpc hello hello

I can unzip it.
But I cannot run install program install.exe, I immediately receive an error message:
"This file version is incompatible with your windows version, ..."

Where can I download unit for go32v2 ?

The goal is to compile from my win7-64 for a freedos target.

regards

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:17:00 pm by ppardo »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Go32v2 installation for compiling from windows
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:14:47 pm »
You can't run any DOS (16 or 32) under windows 64-bit.

You really need a windows based crosscompile, which will be needed to be created by hand I guess. (or install inside a freedos VM)

ppardo

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 03:16:18 pm »
I found a solution, maybe this can help.

Install.exe don't work under windows, but all zip files are available.So I just unzip needed ones into my fpc folder.
Then I can compile with target g32v2.

pp

molly

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:04:44 am »
I found a solution, maybe this can help.
To quote the wiki:
The second possibility is to take the advantage of WinXX being able to run DOS binaries and just copy the GO32v2 versions of GNU tools to a new location and different name. This has some limitations (e.g. with regard to maximum length of the command line), but it works in general (although I wouldn't consider this solution really supported one - however, it's an easier one).

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 11:46:18 am »
To quote the wiki:

Mm, that option has gone since XP afaik. Modern windows won't run those binaries, even with a 32 bit dosextender.
Years ago the command prompt was indeed a "dos box". But that capability is long since gone.
If I am right, that wiki entry must be adapted or deleted. But it will work for win32s, win95,win98 and win me.
And it will run inside a DosBox VM with extenders installed and high memory configured.
Specialize a type, not a var.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: [Solved] Go32v2 installation for compiling from windows
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:38:08 pm »
Afaik the situation on windows > XP has improved in the last few years, and windows vista and 7 worked fine, but only the 32-bit variants.

I however have taken MS' upgrade offer with win8, and converted all my old licenses to 64-bit in that step, so I have to drag out ancient stuff from the attic to do such things.

You'll probably need some VM solution for dos now.

OTOH, if you have the startup .o's, the pascal part should be doable on any OS now, since there is an internal assembler and linker for the pascal parts.

molly

Re: [Solved] Go32v2 installation for compiling from windows
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 01:45:29 pm »
Thank you for your comments Thaddy, as indeed i was in limbo because of TS' reaction.

I am not that proficient with seemless virtualization options in modern nowadays Windows but was aware of restrictions.

As marcov expressed there seem to be some progress.

You are correct that there should be some update on the wiki. I am not sure i would be able to do so on short notice (and i also haven't touched ms-dos topic in ages).

TinyPortal © 2005-2018