Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus IDE won't start on Windows 7 64bit  (Read 16336 times)

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Lazarus IDE won't start on Windows 7 64bit
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 05:30:53 pm »
Again. This is a known problem in the sqlite component that does not load the dll dynamically. I filed a bug some weeks ago.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 05:53:50 pm »
The OP said he also cannot start Lazarus IDE. Will SQLite dll issue cause Lazarus fails to start?

taazz

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 05:58:07 pm »
Again. This is a known problem in the sqlite component that does not load the dll dynamically. I filed a bug some weeks ago.
not really a default installation shows no sqlite3 dependancy. See attachment.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

rvk

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 06:02:23 pm »
Even if this is fixed, it needs to give a proper error message when loading the wrong dll. I see that Delphi is in my search path and that contains the 32 bit version of sqlite3.dll. So even with dynamic loading this would be an issue (although the ide would start).

The OP said he also cannot start Lazarus IDE. Will SQLite dll issue cause Lazarus fails to start?
Yes, an issue with static loading of sqlite3.dll will keep the ide from starting.

The default installation shows a lot of other dlls being used. I saw a lot of dlls in the TortoiseSVN directory being used for my installation. And when the wrong bitness is used, this will be an issue too.

taazz

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 06:11:08 pm »
Even if this is fixed, it needs to give a proper error message when loading the wrong dll. I see that Delphi is in my search path and that contains the 32 bit version of sqlite3.dll. So even with dynamic loading this would be an issue (although the ide would start).

Yes, an issue with static loading of sqlite3.dll will keep the ide from starting.

The default installation shows a lot of other dlls being used. I saw a lot of dlls in the TortoiseSVN directory being used for my installation. And when the wrong bitness is used, this will be an issue too.
Really? I'm going to uninstall 164 and reinstall it just to be sure but, is it possible what you see is not the default installation but a full installation with all your extra packages? Keep in mind that lazarus does not have dynamic packages yet.

Edit:
  No Sorry a new installation of 1.6.4 shows only those 14 dlls on the first level of linking. Anything beyond that has nothing to do with the IDE check your extra packages.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:23:16 pm by taazz »
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 11:01:22 pm »
Default Lazarus installation does not work, and it does not use DLLs. So your problem is not related to DLLs. If you are not trying to execute 64bit binaries on 32bit Windows, then your antivirus probably finds executables not known to other antivirus users. This is normal since you are a developer and depending on your settings there are too many variations to expect that antivirus knows them all. Even if you change a single component or compile settings your Lazarus IDE or Lazarus built executables will be quite different. That's why antivirus heuristics trigger and that's why some bad antivirus products flag such unknown executables as potential threat and flag them as dangerous preventing their execution. Solution: change antivirus or exclude Lazarus directory and Lazarus built executables from antivirus check.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:06:34 pm by avra »
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

jstraarup

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 05:06:37 pm »
So, now I have played a bit more with one of the machines.

I have tried to boot in "Fail safe" mode, and no luck; same behavior.

Tried to execute lazarus.exe from a Console window. No output.

Tried appending --debug-log=name_of_log_file.txt , but it just outputs an empty file.

The exe files was identical on a working and a non-working machine.

I have tried downloading the "Advanced Password Generator" ( http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Application_Gallery#Advanced_Password_Generator ) to test another application. It does not start either.

Tried 64 and 32 bit. No difference.

Did run Dependency Walker again. The bitness of loaded DLLs and Application matches when it is 64 bit (everything is 64 bit).

Disabling/changing antivirus, or excluding a directory is unfortunately not an option. It wouldn't surprise me much, if this was the cause, despite the logs showing nothing relevant.

I cannot afford to spend more time on this issue. So we just agreed, that the users will use the application on a computer, where it works - even though it bugs me a lot, that I could not find a solution :-( and everything, besides Lazarus applications (and Lazarus), seem to work fine.

The application I wanted to run, is a small app that a student at our company wrote. If it turns out they will use it a lot, we will probably just buy new PCs for the users. Or I will rewrite it in a language that I know (it is 450 lines) - then I would be able to support it as well.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions - you are a very friendly and helpful community.

If I can give back with a bug report, or a stack trace (that I can make in a simple way) - I can do that.
I can follow up in my spare time, but I can not borrow the PCs much more.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 05:32:35 pm »
Do you think it is a hardware issue? Hardware problem doesn't mean it totally blank and cannot start. Sometimes it can start normally, it just a bit weird than normal.

I am a computer technician, if I were in front of that computer I will do:

- Do a disk check, drive C: only is enough. I ever encountered some weird cases, which are similar than yours. I solved them by running disk check (scandisk) and let it fix the file allocation error. To do it:
Right-click on your C: drive > Properties > Tools  > Check Now > Schedule disk check.

- Try running some programs on that computer to see if it runs them properly. You can run Winamp, playing some music, watching some videos, running some MS Office programs, etc. Are all the programs able to run properly?

- Do you have Linux live CD? You can download it easily from Internet. Burn it to a CD and start you computer by booting from that CD. Most computers are capable to run Linux live CD without problem, except (but very rare) some hardwares (usually VGA) have problem with the Linux. If you can start the live CD properly, your computer is okay on the hardware side.

Thaddy

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 05:33:29 pm »
YES!

jstraarup

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 06:20:13 pm »
No, I am absolutely positive that this is a software issue.

All other programs works fine. Even though I have not tried, a check disk is unlikely to help in this case.

I am not going to test with a Linux live image - but it would work fine (I use Linux exclusively on my private computers, so nothing against it).

@Thaddy
A program compiled with FPC from Lazarus (complete default settings), which does not have any use what-so-ever for sqlite - will it require, or try to load sqlite? If so, can I disable it?

Thaddy

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 06:25:34 pm »
No, I am absolutely positive that this is a software issue.

All other programs works fine. Even though I have not tried, a check disk is unlikely to help in this case.

I am not going to test with a Linux live image - but it would work fine (I use Linux exclusively on my private computers, so nothing against it).

@Thaddy
A program compiled with FPC from Lazarus (complete default settings), which does not have any use what-so-ever for sqlite - will it require, or try to load sqlite? If so, can I disable it?

If you enabled it in the IDE at some point and you don't have it installed, yes, you should disable the sqlite components. ALL of them. Or install sqlite properly on a path.

taazz

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 06:26:47 pm »
have you tried different folders? If not, try something extremely simple like "c:\laz" use only english characters with out spaces.

jstraarup

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 07:01:00 pm »
If you enabled it in the IDE at some point and you don't have it installed, yes, you should disable the sqlite components. ALL of them. Or install sqlite properly on a path.
I have not enabled it. Everything is out-of-the-box default settings. I don't even know, where the components section is in the IDE :-)

When I go to work tomorrow, I'll try to find it, and disable it if it is enabled. And maybe disable as many components as possible.
I assume a component represents the possibility to use some specific features, and by enabling a component, you dynamically link to a specific shared library implicitly. Some components, can probably also by compiled in?!

have you tried different folders? If not, try something extremely simple like "c:\laz" use only english characters with out spaces.
I have tried to run the program I want to run, from many different places , but not the IDE.
I assume the IDE and the Lazarus program suffers from the same underlying issue, and the main issue is getting the app to run.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 07:10:45 pm »
In any order, maybe start with 2...

1) Try to copy your lazarus install (the entire lazarus dir) into c:\program files or wherever win 7 expects software.

2) See if you can run gdb (from commandline)

in the lazarus directory, run
mingw\i386-win32\bin\gdb.exe lazarus.exe

then (at the gdb prompt) type
r

See what happens, and or if you get any error.

jstraarup

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 07:44:02 pm »
@Martin_fr
Thank you very much. I will try this.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018