Recent

Author Topic: strutils unit in DOS GO32?  (Read 5368 times)

Damaniel

strutils unit in DOS GO32?
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:29:12 am »
I'm writing a FP program that is primarily targeting GO32, but is also meant to be cross platform.  I'm currently building and running the code natively both on a modern Windows 10 PC and on DOS (via Windows 95 on an era-appropriate PC).  I'm using a function from the strutils unit in my code, but it seems that the unit isn't available in FP 3.0.2 on the DOS side.  It's there on Windows though.

I'm only using a single function from the unit so I just rewrote my code to do the thing I want to do without it, but I couldn't figure out from looking around whether 'no strutils' in the GO32 port is a bug or a feature. 

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: strutils unit in DOS GO32?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:52:33 am »
Hello Damaniel,
Welcome to the forum.

What was the error message when you compile or use strutils on DOS?

Free Pascal depends on volunteers, not much people using DOS, so your issue may has not been encountered. Strutils should available for Windows.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:09:05 am »
Dos contains the strutils unit.

However strutils is not part of the core RTL, so this points to a wrong configuration that only contains the rtl directory, and not the whole of the units directory.

This can be the case with e.g. an unconfigured textmode IDE that guesses the RTL directory right but doesn't find all other units from packages.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:52:35 pm by marcov »

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 12:29:02 pm »
Well, it is part of rtl-objpas (packages). Not part of rtl, indeed.
Specialize a type, not a var.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »
With RTL I meant the core rtl/ directory. Indeed the units removed from there have package names rtl-* so that is confusing. I updated the post a bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018