Recent

Author Topic: MacOS Installation is a mess which makes Laz look bad. We can do better.  (Read 11149 times)

Phil

MacOS 10.12.4.

Here's an article that popped up #1 when I searched:

https://www.freepascal.org/~michael/articles/lazonmac/lazonmac.pdf

Maybe you need to accept the license agreement first?

tan

Phil:   I'll resume the attempt tomorrow, or maybe later today.  I'm willing to take whatever steps I need to, within reason.   I think my #1 point is still my #1 sticking point:   the shear indeterminacy of what is required, when probably 98% of Mac *prospects* (I think it is valuable to remember that many are *prospects* who don't know Laz and have been disappointed before with other platforms and are half expecting to be disappointed again)  could be helped with updated step-by-step instructions (start with MacOS update and Xcode update).   Or -- something worth considering again -- would it be doable to have homebrew more fully support configuration management for the Mac?

Thanks again for your help.  I suppose it is a violation of Apple rights for there to be a separate source of the command line tools?  If not, that would be a great thing to include in a homebrew configuration installation.

tvleavitt

(e) right now I am waiting (I have been waiting 15 minutes) for Laz to complete "Creating file index of FPC sources".  Why is this taking FOREVER?  Anyway I am stuck here until Laz finishes...and I am PRAYING it does finsih and isn't just permanently hung.

I gotta wonder how many other OS X folks have actually gotten to this point, since this is the only reference to this problem, and as an OS X user myself, I appear to have run into it as well. The installer just beeps at me when I click on the box with this message. It's acting like there's a dialogue box open somewhere that I'm not responding to, but I don't see it. Kind of frustrating, after I jumped through all the hoops required to get gdb signed (instructions don't mention that you can't save to the System).

Trenatos

• MarcusFernstrom.com
The easiest solution I've found to install Lazarus on a Mac is using FPCUpDeluxe, and even that isn't very straight forward unless you know what all the options are.

I agree with the OP, promoting Lazarus doesn't happen through code.

It's the world of programming, software developers WANT things to be about the good choice, the right tools, productivity, etc. but in reality it's just PR and sales...

"It's not what you know, it's who you know" - It applies to languages as well as people.

Now for solutions, because I agree with the OP here too, can't just whine:

Standalone Mac DMG installer OR Homebrew installer which should install FPC, Lazarus, and cross compilers.

Updated website with a nice modern design, learning materials/guides/courses (Goal based), and actual PR campaigns.

If your company uses FPC/Laz, see if they're willing to promote or support somehow.

tvleavitt

(e) right now I am waiting (I have been waiting 15 minutes) for Laz to complete "Creating file index of FPC sources".  Why is this taking FOREVER?  Anyway I am stuck here until Laz finishes...and I am PRAYING it does finsih and isn't just permanently hung.

I gotta wonder how many other OS X folks have actually gotten to this point, since this is the only reference to this problem, and as an OS X user myself, I appear to have run into it as well. The installer just beeps at me when I click on the box with this message. It's acting like there's a dialogue box open somewhere that I'm not responding to, but I don't see it. Kind of frustrating, after I jumped through all the hoops required to get gdb signed (instructions don't mention that you can't save to the System).

Half a day later, it's still stuck. Edit: killing and restarting appears to have resolved the issue... or at least, I can start the IDE now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:40:41 am by tvleavitt »

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy

The very first thing I ever did on a Mac was install Lazarus, I used this page -
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_MacOS_X
and afterwards made some substantial changes to the page to try and get things in order.

I made the point right at the top of the page that its a FIVE step process. You MUST do each step, you must do them in the order presented !

Step Two is get the command line tools. I made it a separate step 'cos people seemed to like skipping ....

Step Four is about the actual FPC and Lazarus. There is a link there, click it, then two clicks to the DMG files. Again, the instructions tell you to install in a particular order. For some reason, people don't ....

And Step Five, please note you must press Enter at the end of the line of text you have pasted in. And you can paste into it now.

Been some months since it all worked for me, lots of Apple updates, please consider updating those five steps !

Yep, I agree there is a lot of old stuff on the wiki, I was very reluctant to remove it so, on that page, I pushed it down below a heading "Legacy Information".

I consider searching for things on the Wiki a real problem. Most new arrivals, like me, wonder what on earth all that out of date stuff is there for. But we are not brave enough to discard it !

David

Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

TinyPortal © 2005-2018