Recent

Author Topic: I am willing to subsidize a Laz Core Developers meeting.  (Read 4556 times)

tan

I am willing to subsidize a Laz Core Developers meeting.
« on: July 08, 2017, 05:35:13 pm »
I'm not exactly sure where to post this so I will try here.

I would like to see, and ideally attend, a meetup of the core developers of Lazarus/Free Pascal.  I don't know how to communicate with them directly so I am using this general forum post.

If there is interest in the core developers meeting in person in the US I would be willing to provide FREE boarding for a 2-3 day meetup at a beautiful, historic, 10,000+ square foot Inn with a couple hours drive of Boston and five hours from NYC.  The location is magnificent, too, so this would double as a pretty nice vacation I should think.   I have 10 bedrooms available.  Attendees would need to be relevant to the core development and would need to provide their own transport to and from the Inn and arrange for their own food  (there is a great restaurant on site which they can use but I wouldn't be providing food for free).

If there is interest, would someone from the core developer group let me know?  Actually, if there is NO interest, would someone also let me know that so I don't keep trying to make contact?

I would also be willing to provide free convention space for up to 300 programmers near the same location if there was sufficient interest.

I think Laz is mind-blowingly good for an open source project.  But I think it needs better communication, followthrough, and -- most of all -- exposure to make evident its potential.    I would like to help if I can help in this way.

Blestan

Re: I am willing to subsidize a Laz Core Developers meeting.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:44:51 pm »
i think that is a good idea but not only for the core team but also for major projects developped in fpc/lazarus to atract more devs and public.. may be we should start with smaller events across the globe- america europe etc... i can also sponsor the marketing materials for an event in europe (eu)
Speak postscript or die!
Translate to pdf and live!

howardpc

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 06:17:06 pm »
I am not a core developer either for FPC or Lazarus, but they are distinct (if overlapping) groups.
Also, AFAIK none of the developers is based in the USA, nearly all are in Europe (mostly mainland Europe, I think one in the UK).

There is a one-day conference being planned by Blaise Pascal Magazine, with other partners, in the Netherlands on Tuesday 19 September this year. I don't have any more details at present, but it is aimed at the wider Pascal/Delphi community (not just for devs). Perhaps some of the developers (of both FPC and Lazarus) will be there?

balazsszekely

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 06:24:43 pm »
A few core developers(both Lazarus and FPC) regularly visits this forum. I'm certain you will get some answers soon.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
Getting a meeting with *all* core developers is not easy, because of various factors.
- visa requirements
- holiday / each core developer coordinating with their day job.

There is a wiki page list: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Developer_pages / https://www.freepascal.org/aboutus.var
Look at the GMT to get an idea where people are.

In the past (and probably future too) some of the developers have indeed been to the Blaise Pascal day.

There also had been a bigger meeting in Croatia a few years back.

A good place to get the attention of the developers is the mailing list. Afaik all of us are reading it. (While only a few are on the forum)

tan

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 07:30:47 pm »
As an alternative, if *some* core developers could attend -- enough to bring real expertise and a enough legitimacy -- we could aim for a convention without breakout and training groups.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 07:49:40 pm »
... we could aim for a convention without breakout and training groups.
What agenda exactly were you planning?
Maybe you should loosen the requirements for attendance. Anyone who has used FPC/Lazarus for something could attend then.
The invitation for core developers is nice but Boston is far. Most developers are in Europe, it is not realistic to get many of them to attend.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018