Recent

Author Topic: potential of Oberon OS / language  (Read 6471 times)

mai

• truther
potential of Oberon OS / language
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:03:33 am »
Our guru Saint Nicholaus Wirth of ETHZ put together Oberon as a successor to Pascal.

Oberon can be run in a VM, Linux asf..

But I wasn't precisely overwhelmed. seems it is useable to switch a GPIO on a raspi, but that pretty much seems to be it. except to get a Ph.D. in compy science, what can Oberon be used for ? just to write messy documentation?

try do do anything that makes any sense in here:
https://schierlm.github.io/OberonEmulator/emu.html#FullDiskImage,1024,576

http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch

molly

Re: potential of Oberon OS / language
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:11:32 am »
..., what can Oberon be used for ? just to write messy documentation?
An OS perhaps ?

Or just writing software. In that regards i do not seem to fully understand your question. Every programming language has its merits...

Shame that things seem to have come to an halt, as further progress would have been interesting.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:45 am »
Despite its status as a research OS, Oberon is useful for common tasks, some things are just different (or missing, typically office suite) from common OS. It is also self hosted and is abstracted to be able to run on top of other OS instead of baremetal.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:32:59 pm »
I've read Wirth's compiler book and I find Oberon quite confusing.  Even Oberon/0 (the sub-set used to build the compiler) seems obscure to me.  May be because it is too much different to [Object] Pascal, C and Forth.  Also may be because I tried to translate all examples to Pascal to build my compiler/interpretor (with mixed results).  Or because I never tried to learn Oberon seriously.
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

mai

• truther
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 01:44:14 pm »
pro: only 16 machine code ops

con: no network code, just stuff to use a screen, keyboard and mouse.

mai

• truther
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:50:42 pm »
..., what can Oberon be used for ? just to write messy documentation?
An OS perhaps ?

Shame that things seem to have come to an halt, as further progress would have been interesting.

an OS for which you, as the end user,  have to write useful documentation yourself. I got nothing but kernel dumps out of it.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 03:16:21 pm »
IMHO the most fun part of oberon is the integration between platform and language. But I see it more as an interesting research project than as something (re)usable.

mai

• truther
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 03:32:38 am »
400 clicks, yet no one was able to make any use of this contraption :

try do do anything that makes any sense in here:
https://schierlm.github.io/OberonEmulator/emu.html#FullDiskImage,1024,576

piGrimm

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 09:16:06 am »
somewhere in the link
https://books.google.fr/books?isbn=981024973X
it is said that Oberon lang/compiler/OS is a project sponsored by NASA.

many many articles on web inform you that Oberon,Oberon/F, Component Pascal, are used on small devices/embeded systems because of the solid code approach coupled to optimized final software products, reducing the price of needed hardware.

I suppose some satellites, probes, and Hi-TEch robotics use Oberon  :D ask the NASA in the USA LOL
https://books.google.fr/books?id=GCt4gHj1GoYC&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=oberon+compiler+nasa&source=bl&ots=dcOiaWyh3r&sig=JC6tbsy4RfWDNOlhl5Ta-4rE-ew&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0pvjozLjXAhUJKOwKHdlOAiMQ6AEIVDAF#v=onepage&q=oberon%20compiler%20nasa&f=false
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:20:16 am by piGrimm »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 10:38:59 am »
The last time I heard, nasa critical software didnt even se dynamic memory allocation, let alone GCed languages.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 01:02:05 pm »
The last time I heard, nasa critical software didnt even se dynamic memory allocation, let alone GCed languages.
Well, last time I heared that is not always the case: examples are the mars landers and deep space explorers where the core software is running Brahms See: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.69.8676&rep=rep1&type=pdf
That's e.g. because communication is intermittent and the software needs machine learning capabilities for decision making when out-of reach or when communication takes too long to send instructions.
Maarten Sierhuis also uses Brahms currently to develop self-driving cars for Honda Motors USA. And Brahms is built on top of Java. Maarten is a very close friend of mine...hence I know.

Brahms is interesting in that it is a very successful way to model human behavior. e.g. what would a real human do given a problem or problem set and subsequently proxy that behavior in the absence of human interaction. But it is little known. However the above examples are real life applications and in space.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:27:50 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018