Recent

Author Topic: Stand-alone XQuartz Mac application?  (Read 4461 times)

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
Stand-alone XQuartz Mac application?
« on: November 18, 2017, 02:18:24 pm »
Is it possible to build a stand-alone application using XQuartz, or X11, using Linux binaries, along the lines of the Mac version of Inkscape?

My simpleminded attempts to run a Linux binary in X11 have failed, and I have not found anything on the web yet that helps. Can I simply somehow recompile the source for Mac?

I wondering if this could be a stop-gap mechanism for Mac deployment if Apple cuts carbon support before the Lazaus cocoa widgetset is fully functional. It seems to be progressing well (many thanks to Paul Ishenin and other contributors!!), but there are a few key components, like a DrawGrid, that will prevent me from deploying.

I appreciate any insight.

Cheers,
VTwin
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

mischi

Re: Stand-alone XQuartz Mac application?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 10:32:47 am »
This is possible, but means quite some work. First, you need all the X11 and gtk libraries, probably from a package manager like fink, macports or homebrew. All the libraries, which are not part of default macOS, will need to be put in the application bundle with their install names adjusted to the new location. I did this with the 20 or so libraries for a standalone application bundle of ultra star deluxe, a karaoke game. You will find it on sourceforge. The Makefile contains script parts to build the application bundles. In summary: It is definitely possible and one can even create a script for it, but it is involved. I am not sure about the current state of the script, but it shows at least the way to go. I can give you some more detailed instructions, if needed.

Josh

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:55:47 am »
@mischi
Off Topic.
I just attempted to intall ultra star deluxe, on a test win 10 system using default windows a/v and defender.
1) Unable to install, threat detected in download.
2) If I allow this, the installation goes ok, but when run, getting various severe threat warnings.

I have hence completely removed the installer and application from Test Machine.

I am not saying it contains any virus or trojan, but needs looking into.
Most users will not even get that far; they would not even allow the download.

https://github.com/UltraStar-Deluxe/USDX/releases/download/v2017.8.0/UltraStar.Deluxe_v2017.8.0.stable_installer.exe

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/2aaee687cc04043875e7cdc2620c07524e8f349ee7bd77960d02cd8e4f62d828/analysis/1510614736/
The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »
This is possible, but means quite some work.

mischi,

Thank you very much for the response and offer to help. I hoped it might be easier, this sounds like more work than I am prepared to do. If it comes to it, I may tell users to install Ubuntu on VirtualBox. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the Cocoa widget set is ready before Apple pulls the plug on Carbon.

Cheers,
VTwin
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

mischi

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:31:56 am »
Besides the extra work, it also looks terrible and I guess you know how picky Mac Users are ;-)

mischi

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:38:12 am »
@mischi
Off Topic.
I just attempted to intall ultra star deluxe, on a test win 10 system using default windows a/v and defender.
1) Unable to install, threat detected in download.
2) If I allow this, the installation goes ok, but when run, getting various severe threat warnings.

I have hence completely removed the installer and application from Test Machine.

I am not saying it contains any virus or trojan, but needs looking into.
Most users will not even get that far; they would not even allow the download.

My contribution to USDX was mainly the port to macOS and updating some header files. But i could not do much on the windows side. As much as I know, the windows guys of USDX are aware of the problem, but if you want to make sure, please file a bug report. This virus protection schemes become more and more of a problem for hobby open source programmers. Just like the trouble to get the debugger running with lazarus on macOS.

MiSchi

TinyPortal © 2005-2018