Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus 1.8.0 won't compile, cannot find the Interfaces unit  (Read 7718 times)

RuudB

Lazarus 1.8.0 won't compile, cannot find the Interfaces unit
« on: December 10, 2017, 09:54:03 am »
Because I never had troubles with it, I used 1.2.6 so far. When wanting to install a package, VirtualTrees, and it didn't show up, I was told to use 1.8.0.
I downloaded it, 32-bits version for Windows 7, and installed it as a second version. When executing Lazarus, it mentioned it couldn't find the sources for FPC 3.0.2. So I downloaded the sources and copied them to the right place. Strangely enough there was a directory named 3.0.4.
Starting Lazarus again the error was gone and I could start the IDE. What I just described before was my third try of deleting the old version and installing it new because trying to compile an existing program that ran fine under 1.2.6, I ran into a weird error. So this time I compiled the empty program Lazarus presented as default. Again the same error: see the attached PNGs.

I hope someone can tell what is going on, thank you!

Kind regards, Ruud Baltissen

wp

Re: Lazarus 1.8.0 won't compile, cannot find the Interfaces unit
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 10:31:02 am »
Because I never had troubles with it, I used 1.2.6 so far. When wanting to install a package, VirtualTrees, and it didn't show up, I was told to use 1.8.0.
I downloaded it, 32-bits version for Windows 7, and installed it as a second version. When executing Lazarus, it mentioned it couldn't find the sources for FPC 3.0.2. So I downloaded the sources and copied them to the right place. Strangely enough there was a directory named 3.0.4.
Starting Lazarus again the error was gone and I could start the IDE. What I just described before was my third try of deleting the old version and installing it new because trying to compile an existing program that ran fine under 1.2.6, I ran into a weird error. So this time I compiled the empty program Lazarus presented as default. Again the same error: see the attached PNGs.

I hope someone can tell what is going on, thank you!

Requesting the fpc 3.02 sources shows that something is badly screwed up here. I installed Laz 1.8 on Win just to check and it runs fine out of the box.

Delete your Laz 1.8 again, delete the fpc 3.02 sources. Install 1.8 again, select "secondary installation", specify a new installation directory (*) and a new configuration folder, select "complete installation", but don't allow the installer to register file extensions, for Windows QT-Interface normally is not needed. After the installation, put the new Lazarus folder on the whitelist of your antivirus (as well as your projects folder). When the new Lazarus starts for the first time a setup dialog is presented on which everything should be ok, just click on the button to start the IDE.

(*) Don't install into "c:\program files" or any other directory which contains a space in its name.

RuudB

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 12:54:56 pm »
Hallo wp,
Delete your Laz 1.8 again, delete the fpc 3.02 sources.
I deleted both 1.8.0 and 1.2.6 using Windows' configuration manager and deleting left-overs by hand.
Install 1.8 again, select "secondary installation", specify a new installation directory (*) and a new configuration folder, select "complete installation", but don't allow the installer to register file extensions, for Windows QT-Interface normally is not needed. After the installation, put the new Lazarus folder on the whitelist of your antivirus (as well as your projects folder). When the new Lazarus starts for the first time a setup dialog is presented on which everything should be ok,
Nope. See the attachment.
just click on the button to start the IDE.
I did, pressed Ctrl+F9 to compile the present default program and same error message as before.
(*) Don't install into "c:\program files" or any other directory which contains a space in its name.
D:\Programs\Lazarus180

Just haven't any idea.....

Kind regards, Ruud

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 01:30:17 pm »
I deleted both 1.8.0 and 1.2.6 using Windows' configuration manager and deleting left-overs by hand.
What happens if after this you enter fpc and make into command line (separately of course)?
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

RuudB

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 02:39:23 pm »
What happens if after this you enter fpc and make into command line (separately of course)?
I'm not sure what you mean. FPC in the present 3.0.4 directory starts up. Otherwise rephrase your sentence please. I'm not a native Engish speaker.

Kind regards, Ruud

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 02:51:02 pm »
If it asks for 3.0.2 sources, then it probably found an old version of fpc.

So go to the compiler tab in the setup dialog, and select the correct fpc.
C:\lazarus\fpc\3.0.4\bin\i386-win32\fpc.exe

It should then be able to find the sources.

----------------
If nothing helps: during install select "clear user config"

User config by default is in
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\lazarus

you can back it up before.
you can place back some files after you run the IDE for the first time: editoroptions.xml and the projectsessions folder.

RuudB

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 04:49:34 pm »
So go to the compiler tab in the setup dialog, and select the correct fpc.
Bingo, that worked!
I'm sorry that I didn't know that but see me as an ordinary car driver that knows (more or less in this case) how to drive a car but don't ask him what's under the hood.

Thank you!

The question remains, at least for me, why did it look for 3.0.2? Just popped up: I have installed FPC 3.0.2 some time ago so I can program in Free Pascal. If Lazarus did notice that some how, then I think that is something that is wrong, maybe even a bug.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018