Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus alternative for UniGui or IntraWeb available/possible?  (Read 9742 times)

thehidden

• Freelancer
Lazarus alternative for UniGui or IntraWeb available/possible?
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:00:36 pm »
Hi,

I have currently tested RAD Studio with IntraWeb and created a standalone Webapplication. Nothing big, only for testing.
As far as I have seen there is no support from the manufacturers of IntraWeb and UniGui for Lazarus.

What I have found here is partly old, need an addtional Webserver or can not complete create a GUI with the Lazarus IDE. Some handwork or manual GUI creation is needed and this costs time and makes them unhandy in my opinion.

Does anybody has experience if there is an Lazarus Alternative is available which comes more or less close to IntraWeb or UniGui?

I have read something about Raudus. But they have only a paypal account, no Webshop and no information about the company behind. Are they worth to take a look into?

Thank you for sharing information.

Best regards
thehidden
I am mostly writing software for Image/Video based Process Documentation and Warehouse/Invoicing.
Other Software only if the project is interesting.

Phil

Re: Lazarus alternative for UniGui or IntraWeb available/possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:11:21 pm »
Does anybody has experience if there is an Lazarus Alternative is available which comes more or less close to IntraWeb or UniGui?

I don't believe that WYSIWYG design makes much senses for Web user interfaces - that really isn't how Web UIs are designed. That is, they don't look or behave like desktop apps. I like Farshad and what he's done with UniGui, but that just isn't the tool that I would use.

Here are notes on Web apps that you might find handy:

https://macpgmr.github.io/MacXPlatform/WebAppOverview.html

See also the demo Web apps for GIS here:

https://macpgmr.github.io/MacXPlatform/PascalDynLibs_3.html

FPC trunk contains a new converter ("transpiler") that can convert Pascal to JavaScript for use in Web app development. I took a look at it last summer at an earlier stage in its development and wrote up some notes:

https://macpgmr.github.io/MacXPlatform/PascalToJavaScript_AReport.html

Source for a follow-up where I did an all Pascal version of BoxCast and then converted it to JavaScript is here:

https://macpgmr.github.io/MacXPlatform/pnj-src.zip

I think these kinds of tools make more sense with Web app development that involves Pascal. That is, either write your backend in Pascal and the frontend in JavaScript, or write the backend in Pascal and the frontend in Pascal that's then converted to JavaScript. Choice of JS library to use for the frontend is up to you. UniGui uses ExtJS. The examples above use qooxdoo, Mapbox (for mapping).

thehidden

• Freelancer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 12:01:53 am »
Hi Phil,

Thank you for the information.

My situation is somewhat different in my opinion (maybe I am wrong).
I have an industrial application. There is no need to have a nice GUI. The only thing is, that it must work.

The current test with RAD Studio and IntraWeb is not realy nice to give it to everybody - exept klingon warriors, but it would be enough for my needs. Doing some configuration, getting reports and statistics.

I want to reduce the amount of applications needed to install on a Windows system. In this matter a standalone webserver could be suitable enough for me and for the few users who should access it.

When I need a bigger Web Application your information are absolutly helpfull for me to have an idea where to invest time for a client/server Web Service.
I am mostly writing software for Image/Video based Process Documentation and Warehouse/Invoicing.

Phil

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 12:12:08 am »
I want to reduce the amount of applications needed to install on a Windows system. In this matter a standalone webserver could be suitable enough for me and for the few users who should access it.

Why do you think you need a Web app?

Is the "standalone webserver" running on the same Windows systems as the app?

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 01:58:11 am »
I have read something about Raudus. But they have only a paypal account, no Webshop and no information about the company behind. Are they worth to take a look into?
AFAIK it's the only thing available for Lazarus ATM if you want WYSIWYG designer to design your form based web app. I won't take the route if I were you, though. First, hand coding web UI in HTML if the requirement is only "it must work" is not difficult at all (bye CSS, bye AJAX, maybe just a little JS for seasoning). Second, you have fcl-web ready from FPC, it doesn't even require Lazarus to use and the code can be relatively short for the web communication parts (request - response handling).
That would allow him and his users to install basically nothing, assuming the browser is already there in each user's computer.

thehidden

• Freelancer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 06:47:08 pm »
The PC is locked in a cabinet and access to this system should be only via Browser - thats the theory from my business friend.

First, hand coding web UI in HTML if the requirement is only "it must work" is not difficult at all (bye CSS, bye AJAX, maybe just a little JS for seasoning). Second, you have fcl-web ready from FPC, it doesn't even require Lazarus to use and the code can be relatively short for the web communication parts (request - response handling).

Sounds about a lot of work. I have never before done something with HTML Coding. I think for a one time only software it is to much work for me.

This industrial application will be for a long term business friend and not really for earning money or making profit. It is more like a personal help to him. I think I will invest this time for learning only, when I get a real customer with this requirement and will tell my business friend that his ideas are to expensive for now. He should select a trustworth employee and give him a key for the cabinet.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018