Recent

Author Topic: Missing published properties  (Read 1644 times)

sierdolg

Missing published properties
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:40:24 pm »
Hello,

recently I noticed that in current trunk [Lazarus 1.9.0 r57257M FPC 3.1.1 x86_64-linux-qt] the object inspector misses some properties, e.g.  TDBCalendar.Font or TDBEdit.Alignment.

While it is possible to set them in code, this does not fit well into the concept of RAD. You can simply add those properties to the "published"-section of the relevant classes and recompile the IDE, however they should actually be there by default for a conservative view.

This makes me suspect that there might be some new concept (maybe to tidy up the OI) that I don't know about. Control's context menu was my first and only guess, but to no avail.

Can anybody shed some light on this? (Or is it really just a side effect of some recent development and should be fixed in trunk?)

wp

Re: Missing published properties
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:42:55 pm »
Usually, these missing properties were just forgotten when some controls were extended beyond their Delphi cousins, and even Delphi is not consistent: Their TDBEdit doesn't have Alignment either while its TEdit has.

If you miss a property just post a bug/feature request in bugtracker so that the developer of that component sees it (many devs don't read the forum).

I just "published" the property Aligment of TDBEdit (r57264 of trunk).

I did not touch TDBCalendar because its ancestor TCalendar does not have a Font property either. It is painted by the widgetset, and therefore I suspect that it is not possible to change the font of TCalendar/TDBCalendar easily.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:44:59 pm by wp »

sierdolg

Re: Missing published properties
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:08:17 am »
Thanks, that's good news! I'll act on that advice next time.

Concerning TDBCalendar: I did change the font (a narrower one) and its size
with a good result, as I had to squeeze the control in a tiny gap. However, as you say it, there might be other disadvantages doing so, and there might be better ways to handle such cases. (I set AutoSize true and tried the "scaling" from context menu before, but without success).

TinyPortal © 2005-2018