Recent

Author Topic: Executable has been hidden  (Read 6590 times)

Phil

Re: Executable has been hidden
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 02:09:09 am »
Yep, same on Linux, Lazarus apparently makes that directory. I think it makes sense in a way, if Lazarus used /tmp the contents are blown away on reboot, might not be what user expects ? 

That behavior is kind of the definition of "temporary" don't you think? A tmp folder that still has its contents after rebooting is wildly inconsistent to say the least.

Now that I understand what Lazarus is doing, I think its pretty good. Its a balance between getting you going quickly and keeping things safe enough. One improvement I'd like to see is some way of making the (new) user aware of the idea that a new, unsaved project is a "Test Application" and its save in the location indicated on the Options->Files ....

Because it's not clear, I've always thought that this is probably more confusing and harder to get going quickly than other IDEs that simply ask you in the new-project wizard where you want to save the project folder.

molly

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 02:19:50 am »
Ask the average new user to read an article like that before using Lazarus and you have lost them forever !
Meaning ? Are you hinting on the way i presented the link or the content of the link itself ?

In case the latter then i fear that the person that's lost wasn't meant to be(come) a developer in the first place. You'd have to know your target before even thinking about writing software for it. Knowing the systems temp directory is one of those basics that a developer should be familiar with.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 03:37:23 am »
Said Molly :

It is to separate two answers. Everybody else in this world but you seems to know that windows does not allow spaces in directory names...

OK, well thats is, as you say, new to me. I even tried firing up my wife's windows box and tried it. And it seems that Windows does in fact allow spaces in dir names so everyone else in the world must be wrong. Wow !

and that directories are separated with a backslash (and not a slash).

That I assumed was a typo but was too polite to comment.

The kindergarten answer.

I am sure that was not meant as an insult, Molly has been far to helpful in the past.

As far as "an developer must understand windows temp system" I really must disagree. I sure don't (as I have just demonstrated). I build my code on Linux, cross compile on Linux and then take a windows binary over to my long suffering wife's computer and test there. I have really not used windows since Win97 (and Delphi 2).

My real point was that if we are to attract new users, they may well be, initially, non developers. Maybe, over time and with Lazarus's help, they will become developers if we don't scare them off. While capable of being a very powerful tool, Lazarus is also a great "first time" development system.

My 9yo grandson recently had great fun building a simple guessing game on Lazarus.

Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

molly

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 04:26:19 am »
Said Molly :
Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding/hard feeling, you started sighting  :)

OK, well thats is, as you say, new to me. I even tried firing up my wife's windows box and tried it. And it seems that Windows does in fact allow spaces in dir names so everyone else in the world must be wrong. Wow !
Oh well, i should have been more explicit i guess (although if you interpret it as such, you've seen the exact positions of those spaces). No spaces allowed at the start or end of a folder name. They get automatically chopped off.

and that directories are separated with a backslash (and not a slash).
That I assumed was a typo but was too polite to comment.
:-*

The kindergarten answer.
I am sure that was not meant as an insult, Molly has been far to helpful in the past.
Indeed, it was not meant as an insult (that is why i edited my post shortly after to elaborate en be more precise as i realized too late that that answer alone could be taken as an insult).

Since you are talking about newbie to development as a whole, i thought the official sdk documentation from microsoft on the subject of temp directories would be too technical to understand, hence the 'common people's blog-post with pictures and fancy colors' - approach instead.

As far as "an developer must understand windows temp system" I really must disagree. I sure don't (as I have just demonstrated). I build my code on Linux, cross compile on Linux and then take a windows binary over to my long suffering wife's computer and test there. I have really not used windows since Win97 (and Delphi 2).
With the risk of sounding as an insult again, that is your lack of education. and fwiw temp environment variable is present since dos times and was continued with first releases of windows, albeit still dos based.

My real point was that if we are to attract new users, they may well be, initially, non developers. Maybe, over time and with Lazarus's help, they will become developers if we don't scare them off. While capable of being a very powerful tool, Lazarus is also a great "first time" development system.
Although i understand your reasoning there, development really isn't for the faint-hearted and velvet glove approach. Expect many hours of reading through endless sdk's and (lacking) documentation. If you expect to be spoon-fed then you will never be able to progress as you block yourself from improving your own skills. Compare it with having sex.... or do you wish for people to be spoon-fed there as well ... so that they don't get scared off the first time ? ;D

My 9yo grandson recently had great fun building a simple guessing game on Lazarus.
And i'm glad he was able to and hope he had lot's of fun (as well for those playing the game). I take it that the underlying message there was that a user like TS could have been 8 years old ? (i don't think so).

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 05:24:19 am »
@Molly, sounding like you have had a hard day ! If I have contributed, I'm sorry !

Molly Said :
No spaces allowed at the start or end of a folder name.

Yes, you are half right ! They are allowed at the start of a folder name. But do get chopped off at the end.

Molly Said :
temp environment variable is present since dos times
I bet it has too. But I sure don't remember it and don't want to.

Molly Said :
Compare it with having sex....
Not a bad comparison. Most people start off fairly superficially and, sort of, feel their way through. Learning as they go. And they do OK, see how many people there are in the world ! Do you want someone to know how to deliver a baby before they have sex ? 

Molly Said :
that a user like TS could have been 8 years old ?

I do think its a bit rude to put words like that in my mouth. I don't know anything about TS but I do know the user stuey who first posted this thread under "Beginners" was obviously struggling. With good reason. I'm not a beginner in Computing but was quite perplexed by what he described. I hoped to make a few comments that may, in some way, help make Lazarus even more useful. It seems I have offended you in doing so. I don't know why.

Molly Said :
development really isn't for the faint-hearted and velvet glove approach.
And there you are quite wrong. You might need to look at current eduction models.
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

TinyPortal © 2005-2018