Recent

Author Topic: Hints not working in 1.8.2  (Read 4632 times)

snorkel

Hints not working in 1.8.2
« on: April 13, 2018, 04:43:59 pm »
Hi,
I just noticed hints are not working on any of my projects.

I have the hint text set and show hint set to True.

I even did a new project with just a button and set the hint and when the cursor hovers over the button nothing.

This is on Windows 7, with latest updates and Laz 1.8.2 release version.
***Snorkel***
If I forget, I always use the latest stable 32bit version of Lazarus and FPC. At the time of this signature that is Laz 3.0RC2 and FPC 3.2.2

balazsszekely

Re: Hints not working in 1.8.2
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 04:55:15 pm »
Hi snorkel,

Hints are working fine at my side(Lazarus 1.8.2/ FPC 3.0.4). As a first step please set Application.ShowHint to True in your project file or in the main form OnCreate event and see what happens. 

snorkel

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 08:52:54 pm »
ok, I will try that.
***Snorkel***
If I forget, I always use the latest stable 32bit version of Lazarus and FPC. At the time of this signature that is Laz 3.0RC2 and FPC 3.2.2

snorkel

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:59:25 pm »
Nope, that made no difference.
I literally just did a new project put a single button on the form and set the showhint to true, but "this is a test hint" for the hint.
Then in the main form create I did application.showhint:=true and still no hints.

***Snorkel***

snorkel

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 09:05:28 pm »
ok, found out what the issue is.
Lazarus is setting the forms show hint property to true by default.
If the forms show hint is set the components on the form won't show their hints.
I unchecked the forms showhint and then went back and checked the buttons showhint and then the hints showed.

It has something to do with the parentshowhint property that is autochecked on each comoponent.
***Snorkel***

balazsszekely

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 09:19:53 pm »
Really? That's not true.
If the forms show hint is set the components on the form won't show their hints.
I unchecked the forms showhint and then went back and checked the buttons showhint and then the hints showed.
Again this is false. If you set the hint of a component it will overwrite the forms hint. You can easily test this.

wp

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 10:15:54 pm »
ok, found out what the issue is.

It has something to do with the parentshowhint property that is autochecked on each comoponent.
No. Hints are working correctly. You only must set the Form's ShowHint to true. Because ParentShowHint is true by default for all components the ShowHint of the form propagates to the ShowHint of all components on the form.

See attached demo

snorkel

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:02:21 pm »
ok, here is what I am seeing:
create a new blank project.

Drop a button on the form, notice that show hint is set to to true as well as parentShowHint.
The forms showhint is also by default set to true.  This sounds good, but now put a hint in the hint property of the button.
if I run the simple app no hint is shown.  If I then uncheck the parentshowhint and rerun the buttons hint then shows.
If the forms showhint and the buttons showhint and the showparenthint of the button is set to true, no hint is shown.

So if you create a new project, drop a button, add a hint to the button the hint is not show, even though showhint is set by default to true.

I am using the release version as downloaded from the homepage. 

I could have swore this was not the behavior before.

***Snorkel***

ASerge

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 11:12:15 pm »
Drop a button on the form, notice that show hint is set to to true as well as parentShowHint.
The forms showhint is also by default set to true. 
Нou have some strange version of Lazarus. By default, as already pointed out earlier, ShowHint is False.

snorkel

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 11:26:47 pm »
WPs sample project does work, but when I create a new one it does not.
His sample app looks different when I run it as well.  I thought it was something to do with the DPI awareness and when I create a new project that is off and his it was on.  Other than that I can't find any difference.

Like I said this is the default 1.8.2 release that I installed about a month ago.

oh well, I have no idea what's going on, but as long as I uncheck showparenthint it works.

I attached my sample, and only one of the components shows the hint and that's the one with the ShowParentHint set to false.
***Snorkel***

wp

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 11:33:42 pm »
Did you read my post? "You only must set the Form's ShowHint to true". After I set Form1.ShowHint to true your demo is working correctly. No other changes required because of usage of ParentShowHint.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018