Recent

Author Topic: Does it require MS Office or LibreOffice installed?  (Read 4615 times)

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
Does it require MS Office or LibreOffice installed?
« on: April 30, 2018, 01:08:13 pm »
If one wants to use fpSpreadsheet, does it require an installation of MS Office (for XLS or XLSX exporting) or LibreOffice (for ODS exporting)?

eg: Can I use it in a web server environment where a web interface will trigger a data export file for download, but the web server itself doesn't contain a copy of MS Office or LibreOffice/OpenOffice. Is that possible?

On a side note:
  Has anybody thought of making fpSpreadsheet Delphi compatible too?

Regards,
  Graeme
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Does it require MS Office or LibreOffice installed?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:27:02 pm »
No, it doesn't have external dependency.

I started with fpspreadsheet to Delphi (XE3 then) in 2014, but didn't finish because that part of the project was shelved indefinitely.  So yes, I've thought about it.

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 01:58:30 pm »
No, it doesn't have external dependency.
Thank you that is good to know. I only briefly looked at the units included with fpspreadsheet and saw a couple of OLE named units, hence my question.

I started with fpspreadsheet to Delphi (XE3 then) in 2014, but didn't finish because that part of the project was shelved indefinitely.  So yes, I've thought about it.
Is there any chance you still have that work, and willing to share it?  I assume it will be a rather large amount of work as it references many FPC specific units. On a side note, our company is using XE3 too.
--

wp

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 04:20:07 pm »
If one wants to use fpSpreadsheet, does it require an installation of MS Office (for XLS or XLSX exporting) or LibreOffice (for ODS exporting)?
No, fpSpreadsheet is pure Pascal.

As for me, nor seriously. Deep in the heart of fpspreadsheet, there is an AVLTree, and AFAIK Delphi does not have this one, and I never was motivated to take the burdon of porting the AVLTree to Delphi or to replace it in fpspreadsheet by some other container type.

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 10:43:55 am »
No, fpSpreadsheet is pure Pascal.
Perfect, and very good to know.

As for me, nor seriously. Deep in the heart of fpspreadsheet, there is an AVLTree, and AFAIK Delphi does not have this one, and I never was motivated to take the burdon of porting the AVLTree to Delphi or to replace it in fpspreadsheet by some other container type.
Yeah, I saw the usage of AVLTree, and some other FPC specific units. In a way it is fully understandable for FPC and Lazarus to have components, features and abilities which Delphi doesn't have. That could give FPC/Lazarus the edge at some point (for corporate environments). Personally I think FPC/Lazarus is already a much better product than Delphi, but that's for another discussion and another day.
--

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 11:18:31 am »
Afaik there is a generic version of avltree now based on Maciej's work. I assume that is roughly Delphi compat ?

But for that to creep into everything, we will be a well into the next version cycle.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 02:38:11 pm »
Afaik there is a generic version of avltree now based on Maciej's work. I assume that is roughly Delphi compat ?

But for that to creep into everything, we will be a well into the next version cycle.
Indeed, including some very useful derivatives
Specialize a type, not a var.

hnb

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 03:03:59 pm »

In Delphi you will not find many of collections from my implementation (including TAVLTree), also library has special property Ptr^ intended for "for in do" loops ready for smart pointers (also usefully for all managed types). The root/inspiration of Delphi implementation was .NET System.Collections.Generic.

btw. especially interesting IMO is TSortedHashSet which is rather unique when you will look at standard RTL collections in other languages. I have plan to add many new collections in NewPascal soon.
Checkout NewPascal initiative and donate beer - ready to use tuned FPC compiler + Lazarus for mORMot project

best regards,
Maciej Izak

TinyPortal © 2005-2018