Recent

Author Topic: Trend Micro Interference ?  (Read 4394 times)

Nitorami

Trend Micro Interference ?
« on: April 13, 2018, 06:38:11 pm »
I'm curious whether anyone else has experienced this issue:

On my office PC, windows 7, I use to start the textmode IDE fpc 3.0.4 from a command shell. It used to work fine, but as of lately, a hello world program takes 5.5 seconds to compile and link. The lag seems to be in the linking stage. The task monitor shows no increased CPU or disk activity during that time.
The issue goes away after the IDE had been running in the background for 20 minutes or so, but is reliably back whenever I close and restart it. The stability also deteriorates, I never had the IDE crash so often even on trivial programs: I get a warning to save the files because the IDE may be unstable, terminate it, and am back to the shell which however is now frozen with a single message at the top "Internal SIGSEV error detected".

Reinstalling FPC had no effect, and I am fairly certain this is an issue with Trend Micro Realtime Office Scan, or one of its fancy services such as the unauthorised change prevention tool tmbmsvr. I read about a similar case on the Internet, tmbmsvr massively slowing down the VisualBasic debugger. Excluding folders from scanning does not help because that only applies to the file scanner. I would have to contact the administrator I guess.

I find it weird that there seems to be a correlation between the scanning services and the stability of the IDE. Has anyone experienced similar issues ?

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Trend Micro Interference ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:46:56 pm »
I never has same issue. But as a computer technician, I ever saw Norton Antivirus, Avast, McAfee Antivirus cause problems like massive slow down and false warnings.

Solution?
Don't use Windows :D - just kidding.

Almost all antiviruses have file/folder exclusion feature. Try to put fpc.exe or fp.exe or the lazarus/fpc folder in the exclusion list and then restart the computer.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018