Recent

Author Topic: Leaving for Oxygene  (Read 13248 times)

jamie

Re: Leaving for Oxygen
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 03:36:32 am »
I think most here would assume D = Delphi since most of this is fpc/Laz  related which is on a large part close to Delphi..

No I was not referring to the D Language as in the one after the C with  GC memory handling and all..
 :)
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

tverweij

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 08:49:20 am »
$800 for coding DOT NET APPS in PASCAL... really ???   hmmm....  interesting...

C# / VB.Net pro costs about the same, C# / VB.Net Enterprise costs about $4000 (per year).
Delphi is in the same price range.
And I do not pay for the product. I pay for the support.

So learn from it: People are willing to pay for good support - works better than donations.

tverweij

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 09:13:20 am »
And one other thing.

It is not a .Net only language.

Oxygen compiles to:
- .Net for Windows (Console, Winforms, WPF, WCF, Soap, Window Service, and ASP.Net)
- Mono for Windows (Console and Winforms) / Mono for Linux (Console, Winforms and GTK)
- Cocoa for Mac and Ios - native code
- Java (for Android + java applets)
- Native code (for Android, Linux, Windows - called Island)

Some extras:
- Support for cross platform development
- Unit testing (for all development types)
- Class contracts (for all development types)

So, I would not call it a pascal for .Net. Yes, .Net is also supported. And yes, you can develop in the Microsoft Visual Studio Editor. But it is not .Net only.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:27:52 am by tverweij »

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 09:56:42 am »
That sounds good.

Please keep trying Oxygen and share what you think about it. Not much information I can get from the Internet, they only said it is related with .NET. Although I am not interested with Oxygen, but it's no harm to know more about it.

You know, you're always welcome in this forum even you're not using Lazarus/FPC.

tverweij

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 11:21:06 am »
@Handoko,
You can follow my adventures at: http://oxygenpascal.blogspot.com

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 03:49:57 pm »
I haven't seen Oxygen in a long time. Have they implemented a platform independent layer for all targets? You know, having a single language to target as many platforms is not enough, if the underlying library is still platform specific. You will need to write the platform independent layer yourself for code sharing, if the implementor doesn't give you one.

tverweij

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 03:41:59 pm »
@Leledumbo

Yes they have (sort of).
You can build shared code for all targets.
So everything that can be used on any target can be placed into shared code, and consumed from any target.

It's a little bit like the Microsoft Xamarin strategy; UI is platform specific, implementation is shared between the targets.
(btw, you can also use Xamarin from Oxygene)

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Leaving for Oxygene
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2018, 05:02:47 pm »
Sounds like and feels like ECMA script. Which would be a good idea if there are no real issues for you regarding speed. OTOH, use Python in such a case.(opinionated.. :-X )
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:04:30 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 05:07:00 pm »
How it works in Android? Is native?

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2018, 05:11:12 pm »
No.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2018, 08:06:21 pm »
@Leledumbo

Yes they have (sort of).
So everything that can be used on any target can be placed into shared code, and consumed from any target.

It's a little bit like the Microsoft Xamarin strategy; UI is platform specific, implementation is shared between the targets.
I mean, the RTL or even the UI. What you said is exactly what I said in my last sentence. For instance, does Console.WriteLine works on all platform? From the tutorial, apparently not (but writeln is, though).
I see their page still states:
Think of it not as "cross-platform development", but as truly and natively supporting each of these platforms as a first class citizen and development solution.
so they haven't really done anything about it as it is their intention from the start and still hasn't changed.

Akira1364

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2018, 04:26:59 am »
Don't really agree with the general points made by OP, but if anything at least RemObjects is a company worth supporting financially (unlike the running joke that is Embarcadero, for example.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:20:18 am by Akira1364 »

tverweij

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2018, 06:47:27 am »
How it works in Android? Is native?
No.

Standard android applications are compiled to Java bytecode.
But you also have NDK extensions and NDK libraries (this is native).

How good it is? - I do not know yet. I will know more in the following months as I have used this one by then.

And I think native is overrated.
I am using .Net since 2005 and I never had a customer complaining about the fact that it is not native.
But if you think that this is important: The next generation of .Net, .Net Standard 3 will compile to native code (as I understood: multi platform, what means Linux, Mac and Windows).

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:20:53 am by tverweij »

tverweij

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2018, 07:12:41 am »
@Leledumbo

Yes they have (sort of).

I mean, the RTL or even the UI. What you said is exactly what I said in my last sentence. For instance, does Console.WriteLine works on all platform? From the tutorial, apparently not (but writeln is, though).
I see their page still states:
Think of it not as "cross-platform development", but as truly and natively supporting each of these platforms as a first class citizen and development solution.
so they haven't really done anything about it as it is their intention from the start and still hasn't changed.

The language is the same for any project type.
The available frameworks are not.
and within the shared code project, you only have what will work on any project type - what makes it portable.

You simply cannot create a windows application and compile it to IOS.
And it is impossible to use android functionality within windows.
Even FPC can not do that; it als needs Cocoa for IOS and the Android SDK for Android apps.

tverweij

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 07:27:04 am »
(opinionated.. :-X )

Aren't we all?  ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018