Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a team of devs, ideally commercial to assist a project  (Read 10047 times)

JS_IT

Hi,
We are looking to engage with a team of developers, ideally a commercial operation based in the UK, to formally support a Delphi/Lazarus application.
It is a quite simple, small application (we have the source code and rights to use/develop it) but we have no internal resource and wish to have formal support going forward.
Is anyone aware of such an organisation or able to point me in the direction where I may find one? We do of course have funding for the project and support going forward.
Thanks very much in advance for any contributions.

xinyiman

• Lazarus and Free Pascal italian community
Re: Looking for a team of devs, ideally commercial to assist a project
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 12:15:08 pm »
Excuse me, did you not consider forming a freelance team scattered around the world? In my opinion the big problem is the bond on London. Otherwise you may find many interested here, or at least I think.
Win10, Ubuntu and Mac
Lazarus: 2.1.0
FPC: 3.3.1

JS_IT

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 12:38:27 pm »
Thanks for the response.
We did ideally want a team, ideally based in the UK but failing that, your offer may be an interesting one.
I will watch this thread and consider options, thanks again.

chain_reaction

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 04:42:52 am »
IMHO Delphi/Lazarus/Fpc is one of the best stack that can be combined well with node.js for web, and C for system. Currently head to head competitors are C#, Python and Java.

There are many modern pascal based devs across the world who can be hired for projects I believed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:45:35 am by chain_reaction »

JS_IT

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 11:13:04 am »
Excellent, thaats great to know. I am currently thinking that the best way may well be to form some kind of team on here. Ill update the post shortly with further information.

cpalx

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 05:42:53 pm »
For Frelance, me.

JS_IT

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 01:49:21 pm »
Thanks for the interest all.
It does look like we will be starting a project site with freelancers helping out/subscribing etc.
Does anyone have any ideas about how such a consortium would work?

valdir.marcos

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 03:58:05 pm »
Thanks for the interest all.
It does look like we will be starting a project site with freelancers helping out/subscribing etc.
Does anyone have any ideas about how such a consortium would work?
Begin by deciding whether the project will be short, medium or long, whether it will use only Delphi or only Lazarus, or both, or migrate from Delphi to Lazarus.

Decide whether the project will use none, one or several database engines and report this before hiring people.

Inform the version of everything (SO, Delphi, Lazarus, (R)DBMS, etc).

Decide how the project will be developed (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc) and on which platforms will be delivered (Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, desktop, server, web, mobile, etc).

Find out how much money is available (budget) to be invested in the project as a whole and for how long.

If possible, hire a project manager or a team leader, or both, or a person who plays both roles. They are not simple programmers, they are experienced professionals that leads and deals daily with people and technology.

Legally, some people from the community are available and would agree to move to London, even temporarily. This is very common.

If you need or prefer young people, consider that you might need to train them on some technologies, specially Pascal ones (Delphi, Lazarus, Free Pascal, etc).

Divide the project in stages and prepare a schedule.

Getting a team for internal or remote development does not make much difference since the project is well designed. It's just a matter of managing the project, the goals, the time frame, the dead line, the money available (budget) and the group of developers (team) over time.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:49:32 pm by valdir.marcos »

LemonParty

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 04:36:42 pm »
I can join to your project, but I can't move to London.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018