Recent

Author Topic: Status of "attributes" language feature?  (Read 6830 times)

SlightlyOutOfPhase

Status of "attributes" language feature?
« on: July 18, 2018, 04:39:20 pm »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:40:50 pm by SlightlyOutOfPhase »

Akira1364

Re: Status of "attributes" language feature?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 05:47:53 pm »
There is at least this relatively recent patch submission for attributes, by someone named Svetozar Belic: https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=33384

I tested it myself out of curiousity, and as far as I can tell it works fine and is feature complete. I was even able to compile and use the "SuperObject" and "XSuperObject" libraries (after some unrelated changes), which both require attributes support. I'm not really sure why exactly he hasn't received any feedback regarding it yet.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 12:23:23 am by Akira1364 »

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 06:06:00 pm »
There is at least this relatively recent patch submission for attributes, by someone named Svetozar Belic: https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=33384

I tested it myself out of curiousity, and it works fine and is feature complete. I was even able to compile and use the "SuperObject" and "XSuperObject" libraries, which both require attributes support. I'm not really sure why exactly he hasn't received any feedback regarding it yet.
If the submitter does not provide tests, they need to be written. I think a patch to the compiler w/o tests can not be applied as is.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Akira1364

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 06:32:50 pm »
If the submitter does not provide tests, they need to be written. I think a patch to the compiler w/o tests can not be applied as is.

His patch does include tests, actually. Ten of them!

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 08:40:00 pm »
Already assigned to Sven, give him some time or ping him just in case.

hnb

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:04:32 am »
Based on what I've seen on the mailing list recently, it seems like Sven is basically intentionally ignoring the report because they don't like the syntax or something like that. Except wasn't Joost's original attributes implementation already known, for years, to be using that exact same syntax? Is there any truth at all to anything the Foundation website says?
The real owner of foundation is Michael Van Canneyt. The FPC foundation was published in public space too early only because I had created NewPascal initiative with donations, the start of FPC foundation was intended to destroy NewPascal project/donations. Probably it sounds a little paranoid but this was directly confirmed by main persons in FPC foundation, the foundation itself was registered before NewPascal but publication was planned in much later time - maybe this is the reason why FPC foundation page has no actual/reliable information. Also the way of spending moneys is unclear also there is no vision (AFAIK only personal preferences of Michael).
Checkout NewPascal initiative and donate beer - ready to use tuned FPC compiler + Lazarus for mORMot project

best regards,
Maciej Izak

hnb

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 01:47:30 am »
Is Joost still active in the FPC community? If so, I'd be interested to hear his opinion on all this...
AFAIK not much. The attributes feature is rather complete and working. I was asking few times about state of attributes in the past. Free Pascal is a "fun driven" hobby project where core members who do the actual work can add what they like, there is no common vision (probably Delphi 7 compatibility is the strongest point). FPC core is reluctant to spend their time for things which are no fun or not needed by themselves or doesn't fit in their world view. Worth to note that FPC core doesn't like the syntax for attributes.

I was FPC core developer but I have permanent ban (from Michael ofc.) so I have no influence. The only what I can do to help is to add attributes to NewPascal. Probably this movement can be motivation for FPC core. For example worth to note that was really hard to put my Generics.Colellctions into FPC trunk (I was fighting for this for very long time - the resistance was really strong without any rational reason), it was added to trunk only when I decide to release Generics.Collections together with NewPascal (the same happened with RTTI module).
Checkout NewPascal initiative and donate beer - ready to use tuned FPC compiler + Lazarus for mORMot project

best regards,
Maciej Izak

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:07:41 am »
Is Joost still active in the FPC community? 

Joost is not very active after the release of 3.0.0. He checks in a few times per year.

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:30:00 pm »
Was Joost the main developer of fpdebug?
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 01:38:00 pm »
Was Joost the main developer of fpdebug?

Afaik Joost worked on GDB related debug. He might have worked on other debug related projects too, but iirc  Marc and Dimitry were the main fpdebug people.

k1ng

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 10:11:38 pm »
There it is: Initial support for Custom Attributes :o

Is Joost still active in the FPC community? If so, I'd be interested to hear his opinion on all this...
Free Pascal is a "fun driven" hobby project where core members who do the actual work can add what they like, ...
FPC core is reluctant to spend their time for things which are no fun or not needed by themselves or doesn't fit in their world view.

For example worth to note that was really hard to put my Generics.Colellctions into FPC trunk (I was fighting for this for very long time - the resistance was really strong without any rational reason)

Is NewPascal dead? Last update on webpage seems to be one year ago, would be nice to get it back again :)
There are so many fixes still sitting in the bugtracker without any intention to merge them into FPC trunk in the near future...  :-\

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 09:16:36 am »
There are so many fixes still sitting in the bugtracker without any intention to merge them into FPC trunk in the near future...  :-\
Especially larger changes or changes that have potentially a big impact take longer to review. And remember, this project is developed by volunteers. There are times when I'm not in the mood to work on FPC (shocking, I know) and prefer to do something completely unrelated.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018