Recent

Author Topic: can 2 event handlers be running simultaneously?  (Read 2124 times)

PaulRowntree

• Paul Rowntree
can 2 event handlers be running simultaneously?
« on: August 21, 2018, 03:02:23 am »
I am writing Win64/Win32 applications, without explicitly launching concurrent threads.  Can I be confident that there will never be more than 1 event handler actually running in my code at any instant, or is this a naive view of what is going on behind the scenes?
My specific case is a TTimer event handler that checks SimpleIPC to see if there is any incoming information, then fire off sub-handlers to read and deal with that information.   Could the OS invoke other event handlers while my SimpleIPC handlers are grinding away?
Thanks!

Paul Rowntree
- coding for instrument control, data acquisition & analysis, CNC systems

ASerge

Re: can 2 event handlers be running simultaneously?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 03:29:09 am »
If you use only the client and do not override the DefaultIPCClientClass, then in Windows TSimpleIPCClient uses windows messages - so only one thread works. So you can be confident.

PaulRowntree

• Paul Rowntree
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 04:06:18 am »
If you use only the client and do not override the DefaultIPCClientClass, then in Windows TSimpleIPCClient uses windows messages - so only one thread works. So you can be confident.
Thanks ASerge.  Actually, I was hoping to bundle a Client and a Server (ie put them in a wrapper, not subclassed) to make a bidirectional link.  The Client would be called by 'regular' routines, as a result of some action such as a button event or a timer event.  On the receiving end (the server), I wanted to install handlers that would get called when the server was polled to see if anything was in the pipe.
Does this start to shake my confidence?
Paul Rowntree

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 10:11:51 am »
Take a look at the pipes example that comes with Freepascal. That's an example of two way communication and it is cross-platform.
Specialize a type, not a var.

PaulRowntree

• Paul Rowntree
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 06:04:52 pm »
Take a look at the pipes example that comes with Freepascal. That's an example of two way communication and it is cross-platform.
Thanks Thaddy.  I can't see the example in FPC, but I have looked through some NamedPipes units (eg https://github.com/dezlov/NamedPipesFPC).  I am worried about connection errors and error trapping ... would pipes provide a more robust transport mechanism than simpleipc?
Cheers!
Paul Rowntree

TinyPortal © 2005-2018