Recent

Author Topic: Beginners question on how to install a component  (Read 2794 times)

Flomo

Beginners question on how to install a component
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:00:49 pm »
Hi,

working with version 1.8.4, FPC version 3.0.4 under Win7 (64) I am trying to install the libnodave component. The author describes the Lazarus installation as such:

Lazarus-Installation:
1. Select Components - Open package file
2. Select nodavepackage.lpk
3. Select Open
4. Select Compile
5. Select Install
6. Select Yes

... which I have done.
It appears that went through w/o a problem, yet when I try to open the demo project, the unit nodavecomponent cannot be found.

I remember when installing and using components in Delphi, I had to extend the library search path by adding the subdirectory of the newly added component, an option which I cannot find in Lazarus.

Where is the new component to be placed, is {LazPath}\components\libnodave OK

What am I missing here?

Florian
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 03:06:02 pm by Flomo »

howardpc

Re: Beginners question on how to install a component
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 06:04:35 pm »
Package -> Package Links ...
In the Package Links dialog, is nodavepackage listed in the Name column?
If not, it is not installed.
If it is listed, does the State column show "valid" or "invalid"?

Flomo

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 06:07:44 pm »
The package is listed, the status shows valid...

howardpc

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 06:22:19 pm »
Maybe the package is faulty in some way?
You can always add the correct unit path to the missing unit in the project's Compiler Options. However, manual addition of paths in that way should not be necessary if the package is built correctly. The beauty of Lazarus' package system is that you never need to tinker with paths like that. It is a superior system to Delphi in that regard, as well as being fully cross-platform.

Also, the "not found" message can also indicate that a correctly named .ppu is found, but is invalid (wrong version, corrupt etc.).
Is the demo project that won't compile looking for a specific version of the package?

Flomo

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 07:04:57 pm »
Searching for ppu files I found nodave.ppu, nodavecomponent.ppu and nodavepackage.ppu in ...\components\libnodave\lib\, all of them with today's timestamp.

Evon upon opening the demo project I get a load of error messages.
When the file is finally loaded, I can hover the mouse over the various entries in the uses section, for all antries I get a nice tooltip with description, path and so on of the unit, execpt for the entry NoDaveComponent.

The whole package is rather old (2013), maybe too much has changed in Lazarus since then...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018