Recent

Author Topic: [Solved] Deploying an app  (Read 2945 times)

Pagliaccio

[Solved] Deploying an app
« on: November 13, 2018, 03:57:56 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I guess this is a begginers question, that's why i'm posting it here.

Last year i made an app for my university library (I'm still a student), this year i'm doing a more complex and wide app for the library based on the first app, but the last time i made a deployment kit, just grabbed the whole folder and use Inno setup for it and went just fine, haoever it seems that some files are not necessary, i wish to know wich ones i have to keep and wich not.

My App Folder Consist on:
  • App Folder: All the units and Forms are stored here along with the .Exe file and the icon for it, also my proyect information file and .lps, .res (I know i should be more organize and have it on subfolders, but i found out this after my app was completed, this is something for future proyects).
  • Back up folder: all the default files that are normally stored here.
  • Lib MariaDB: The library files for using MariaDB server and database stuff.
  • Lib Folder: all the default files that are normally stored here.
  • Format-R Folder: Files formats for reports (i'm using LazReport).
  • Reports Folder: After a report is generated, is stored here.
  • Images: all Images Files used in the app (they are already loaded in the app, i guess this is one of the folders that are not necessary because the app runs just fine even when the folder is not there).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 09:16:41 pm by Pagliaccio »

lucamar

Re: Deploying an app
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 05:42:28 pm »
All you need, basically, is the EXE file, any DLLs (if not installed otherwise) and files which your program loads at runtime (default configuration, etc.).

Of all the things you mention the only ones I'm not sure are the Format-R files, whatever that is--I don't use LazReport; of the rest, and provided you have an install for MariaDB, you need only the EXE. The "Reports folder" should be configurable and generated at runtime, if it doesn't exist.

HTH
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

Pagliaccio

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 07:02:27 pm »
Of all the things you mention the only ones I'm not sure are the Format-R files, whatever that is--I don't use LazReport; of the rest, and provided you have an install for MariaDB, you need only the EXE. The "Reports folder" should be configurable and generated at runtime, if it doesn't exist.

HTH

Format-R is a folder containing the templates for Reports that are generated by the app, basically the LazReport search for the template and empty the data in it generating the report after, but i guess that is necessesary because with out it the reports dont work i just tried.

All you need, basically, is the EXE file, any DLLs (if not installed otherwise) and files which your program loads at runtime (default configuration, etc.).

So when Lazarus creates the Unit File and the Form File it's just for main configuration and i can left them out of the Setup?

Or the LPI, LPS and RES File?

Something like in the picture that i attach at this coment

lucamar

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 07:17:27 pm »
Format-R is a folder containing the templates for Reports that are generated by the app, basically the LazReport search for the template and empty the data in it generating the report after, but i guess that is necessesary because with out it the reports dont work i just tried.

Then include them in the install. They go under the category: "files which your program loads at runtime", I guess :)

So when Lazarus creates the Unit File and the Form File it's just for main configuration and i can left them out of the Setup?
Or the LPI, LPS and RES File?

All of those are source files which the compiler... hummm... compiles to make your executable and, yes, configuration files (LPI and LPS = project info and IDE session info) and other intermediate files (e.g. RES = compiled ressources) which the compiler and linker use to build your exe.

They are important for you as developer, but for your users the exe and other runtime files (like those reports) are enough.

ETA: BTW, although it was easy to guess in this case, you should tell the explorer to show the file exensions before doing a screenshot. Remember that in this side we can't hover the mouse to see what each file is exactly. ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:22:08 pm by lucamar »

garlar27

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 07:57:30 pm »
How about the Data Base File?
If it doesn't exists: Are created at run-time?
If not, then you should include an empty DB file (with empty tables, triggers, procedure, etc.)

lucamar

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:36:57 pm »
How about the Data Base File?
If it doesn't exists: Are created at run-time?
If not, then you should include an empty DB file (with empty tables, triggers, procedure, etc.)

IMO they should be created at run-time if they don't exist. It's too easy to f*ck a database otherwise. That's why a lot of "table backups" consist of text files full of SQL statements.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:39:26 pm by lucamar »

Pagliaccio

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 09:15:48 pm »

Then include them in the install. They go under the category: "files which your program loads at runtime", I guess :)

Yes i will  :D

All of those are source files which the compiler... hummm... compiles to make your executable and, yes, configuration files (LPI and LPS = project info and IDE session info) and other intermediate files (e.g. RES = compiled ressources) which the compiler and linker use to build your exe.

They are important for you as developer, but for your users the exe and other runtime files (like those reports) are enough.

Thanks for the information, I used to believe that those files were strictly necessary for the .exe to work

ETA: BTW, although it was easy to guess in this case, you should tell the explorer to show the file exensions before doing a screenshot. Remember that in this side we can't hover the mouse to see what each file is exactly. ;D

Yeah, sorry about that, is the habit of keeping this setting in my files, i'll keep that in mind.  :D

TinyPortal © 2005-2018