Recent

Author Topic: SIGSEGV - yet another one.  (Read 9259 times)

creaothceann

Re: SIGSEGV - yet another one.
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 11:23:13 pm »
DOS is still around - remember that it stands for "Disk Operating System" and unless I miss my guess, you're probably booting a DOS system.....
Not on my phone/tablet :) And on my PC the only disks are external HDDs, even the DVD drive has been disconnected for years now.

I'll take any "DOS" any day .....
Meh, even with my first PC (486 DX4-100 with 0.5GB HDD, Win95 + DOS 7, later overclocked to 120MHz and upgraded from 8 to 12 MB RAM) I preferred Norton Commander over raw DOS in daily usage.

aljones

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 11:45:06 pm »
I'm going to let this die a gracious death ... I have Laz running on my laptop and on a Linux Mint partition on my tower, so I'll be back as I play around with a working program.
//al

(( er, you boot you PC from the external drive, just curiosity?? ))

creaothceann

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 01:52:48 am »
(( er, you boot you PC from the external drive, just curiosity?? ))
No, M.2 SSD.

440bx

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 02:40:17 am »
It may be true for Windows. A rolling Manjaro Linux however appears to work on physical hardware for years without problems or slowdowns. Recommended.
The most basic Windows problem is its registry.  As the number of install/uninstall/upgrade cycles goes up, the registry tends to become a repository of garbage which eventually creates problems either in the form of slow downs or hard-to-track setting conflicts.  Good registry cleaners can alleviate the problem but, in the long run, it's a Borg, "resistance is futile... your system will be trashed."

Best Linux feature is, there is no registry (AKA, binary garbage magnet.)

(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 04:42:06 am »
@ASBZone - why isn't it as simple as it used to be "Path=whatever> from a dos prompt?  (( My age is telling, yes?? ))

Oh, you can still make the change there, but just like in DOS and earlier editions of Windows, that PATH will not persist through a reboot.  (Nor will it be valid for any other CMD session already running or subsequently started.

I changed the path so it now looks like:
"PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;c:\lazarus\fpc\3.0.4\bin\i386-win32;c:\lazarus\mingw\i386-win32\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Pages\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\eBook Technologies;C:\Users\alfre\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;

Lazarus is at it's default installation "C:\Lazarus\" I would have put it in "Program Files" but was operating under the assumption that when the authors suggest another folder then they have a reason for it.

Of the programs you list, I do have a couple of them (grep and gdb) that reside in \standalone\basic\qb64 - they shouldn't be a problem since they aren't in the path. (( though gdb does bug me a bit ))

No significant change in function.  Build(success)->run(success) ... build(success)->run(fail)
Unload Lazarus and restart.  Build(success)->run(fail)

Looking through taskmanager, I see nothing that seems to be a holdover from Lazarus or an <unknown>.exe  But for that matter, Lazarus doesn't show as a running process either <?????> 
But lazarus.exe does show in taskmanager->details ... odd!  Now, unless the debugger uses the same name as the 'program' then it's the program itself that isn't completing.  "Test1.exe" (I know, how imaginative) shows in taskmanager->details on it's first run and exits; on its next run it doesn't hit the writeln before giving the sigsecv error. 

I'm confused .....

You definitely have an interesting problem there.

What command/shortcut are you using to start Lazarus?

And does it matter if you run 32-bit or 64-bit Lazarus?
-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

aljones

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2018, 05:08:52 am »
@asbzone, let's see ... I live in a world of assumptions, so assumed that the 32-64 install would install whichever the host OS was.  So I downloaded and installed lazarus-1.8.4-fpc-3.0.4-win32 which just blows up; after your question, I uninstalled the 32 bit and installed lazarus-1.8.4-fpc-3.0.4-win64 which so far has managed to run the stupid little sample program about 6 times without a hiccup.

re: Path - in the old days, I'd copy the path, make any changes to it and change it on the fly.  Of course since I was working mostly at DOS level it hung through.  Somewhere around XP changes to the path worked only for the dos box in which the change was made.  (( Please don't start on me about the whole dos thing again, please :) ))

I invoke Lazarus from the desktop icon, I haven't looked at it so I couldn't have said what if any parameters were passed.  But since you asked, the  command is simply "C:\Lazarus\lazarus"  (( and yes, I have problems with Pascal and single quotes! ))

Since I'm running on a 64 bit OS (Win 10 build 17134) and a 32 bit program should work and doesn't where the 64 bit does I have to question whether it's a problem with my setup or some minor glitch in the 32 bit program that I'm triggering.

and ... g'night all //al

jamie

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2018, 11:27:09 pm »
I have both the 32 and 64 bit Lazarus installed in this Win 10-64 and works fine..

You do need to watch the installer to ensure you have one of them as a secondary install. I am not sure
what the side effects are but it may have something to do with associating file types with the correct install.
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

TinyPortal © 2005-2018