Recent

Author Topic: Can I publish Aria2 with my program  (Read 2854 times)

nikel

Can I publish Aria2 with my program
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:51:26 pm »
I'm using Aria2 to update my program and wonder if I can publish Aria2 with my program. I'm publishing it at github.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:05:58 am by nikel »

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Can I publish Aria2 with my program
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 04:58:09 am »
Depending on how you do "publish with" and your program's license. I wonder why you use aria2 while LazAutoUpdater is available and has the same, less restrictive license as LCL than GPL used by aria2.

nikel

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 08:31:45 pm »
Hi, I published my project but I'm still in doubt. Can you help me? I stated the link at this page:

http://forum.lazarus-ide.org/index.php/topic,43818.0.html

lucamar

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 09:14:10 pm »
Aria2 is GPL so there's nothing preventing you from publishing it along with your own. You only need to heed the license and provide your users with a way to download Aria2's source code if they will, which means you should clone it, fork it or whatever and add it to your "publish" repository. More info in the Free Software Foundation - Licensing pages: read the FAQ, if nothing else.

Incidentally: I'm not very conversant with the idiosincracies of GitHub but, isn't it a source code farm/forge? If so they may not see with good eyes you using it to make binary-only distribution.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:18:43 pm by lucamar »
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 02:13:27 am »
Incidentally: I'm not very conversant with the idiosincracies of GitHub but, isn't it a source code farm/forge? If so they may not see with good eyes you using it to make binary-only distribution.

Yes, I agree, while lots of people do put binaries in the git system of github, its really see as, perhaps, bad manners. Far better to keep the source under git and do releases with the binaries. Github has a slick release model, it will automatically bundle the appropriate level of source in with your binaries and its probably how end users expect to find things.

That approach also lets you have some relevant release notes with each release, a nice block of binaries for each supported platform etc, reassuring for users. And, it the spirit of open source, the source must be available.....

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

TinyPortal © 2005-2018