Recent

Author Topic: Downloading Free Pascal  (Read 8441 times)

jim0444

Downloading Free Pascal
« on: January 01, 2019, 06:38:17 pm »
I would like to download the 3 files which would enable me to use Free Pascal on my iMac running OSX Mohave.
From the Downloads section of this site I have selected Mac OSX, with mirror site SourceForge. I then see a page of text headed "Free Pascal Compiler - Browse/Mac OSX/3.04 at SourceForge.net" . I cannot see any links which would enable me to download the required files.
Please help this frustrated would be Pascal programmer.

lucamar

Re: Downloading Free Pascal
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 06:59:01 pm »
Do you want just Free Pascal or Lazarus too? In the first case, go to this page: Free Pascal 3.0.4 for MacOS and click the file you want to download.

Idem for Lazarus, but the page is: Lazarus 1.8.4 for MacOS - i386.

The attached images show what you should be seeing.

ETA: If for some reason you can't download from Sourceforge then try the Hungarian ftp mirror
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:18:37 pm by lucamar »
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

Akira1364

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 05:35:55 pm »
You can also get both FPC and Lazarus through FPCUpDeluxe: https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases

This frankly might be a better way to go on a newer version of OSX like that, since FPCUpDeluxe can get you set up with 64-bit versions of everything directly/immediately.

Honestly IMO it would very much be worth mentioning FPCUpDeluxe on the official FPC and Laz websites. The official releases are not representative (not even close) of what is actually supported platform and OS-wise. (The FPC site is worse for this, as it doesn't even for example have proper Win64 versions of FPC listed/available despite the fact that Win64 has been a completely stable target for years and years...)

So people who have 64-bit Windows (which is the majority of Windows users nowadays) and would use a 64-bit compiler if available are still downloading SEH-less 32-bit version just because they think they have to.

Also as far as I'm concerned it might be time to reconsider the whole SourceForge thing, as for better or worse SourceForge has a horrible reputation and is kind of considered a place where "projects go to die" by many people... Considering the FPC FTP website hosts daily builds of the development branch and all sorts of other things anyways it's never made sense to me why SF was ever necessary in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:37:45 am by Akira1364 »

Trenatos

• MarcusFernstrom.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 01:06:37 am »
I absolutely second FPCUPDeluxe.

Just go with Stable, OSX, x64 and you're all set.

I've brought up ideas to revamp the website before, it just falls on deaf ears.

I even did a comparison with the Python website, and, again, deaf ears.

Akira1364

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:53:18 am »
I absolutely second FPCUPDeluxe.

Just go with Stable, OSX, x64 and you're all set.

I've brought up ideas to revamp the website before, it just falls on deaf ears.

I even did a comparison with the Python website, and, again, deaf ears.

The Lazarus website itself is mostly ok in my opinion, and at least presumably once Cocoa is ready it will be the default link for Mac users. It does however still have the SourceForge problem, yeah.

I actively avoid directing anyone to the FPC website though because it's just chock full of things that were very obviously written 10+ years ago / the downloads page is embarrassing / e.t.c.

Again, both should definitely mention FPCUpDeluxe though I think, as it's the only way to actually directly get FPC and Lazarus for all (or even most) supported platforms, and it "just works" in most cases, unlike a lot of the convoluted makefile stuff described in various outdated FPC-Wiki articles and other places.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:35:46 am by Akira1364 »

jim0444

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 07:09:03 pm »
Thank you for all your comments.
I downloaded fps and Lazarus from the non SorceForge mirror site.  when I try to compile a simple program with a button and a label on a form I get a lot of error messages about carbonproc. what am I doing wrong, please?
Alternatively should I download from FPCUPDeluxe? If I do can I just install it or do I need to uninstall the version of fpc and Lazarus that I have? If I need to do the uninstall is there a recommended way of doing it, please?

Akira1364

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 07:33:49 pm »
In my opinion the Carbon-based version is not a good long-term solution anyways so personally I'd uninstall it, yes.

I don't think there's a "special" way to do it that would be any different from how you'd normally uninstall something you got through a DMG file.

Again also, I would definitely recommend FPCUpDeluxe, yeah.

The two relevant FPCUpDeluxe download link options for x86_64 Mac are:

The native Cocoa-widgetset-based version: https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases/download/1.6.2h/fpcupdeluxe-x86_64-darwin-cocoa.zip

or the QT5-widgetset-based version, which uses Cocoa indirectly: https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases/download/1.6.2h/fpcupdeluxe-x86_64-darwin-qt5.zip

I'd highly recommend trying the normal Cocoa one first, as it will build a native Cocoa-based Lazarus by default. Only if it gives you problems, which hopefully it won't, should you try the QT5 one I'd say.

Note that the Cocoa widgetset has been getting a lot of work done on it recently and has to my knowledge been improving steadily, so it will possibly be a better idea to choose the "trunk" branch for Lazarus in FPCUpDeluxe.

I've attached a screenshot I took (on Windows, but it's the same application) of what it looks like with trunk FPC and trunk Lazarus selected in FPCUpDeluxe right before clicking the button to download/build/install them (which is the one labeled "Install/update FPC + Laz".)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:53:43 pm by Akira1364 »

Hi im Pascal

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 11:42:18 pm »
I would go with trunk Lazarus ok, but with FPC take fixes 3.2 ... The trunk versions gave me problems a week ago (see here: https://github.com/Xor-el/HashLib4Pascal/issues/7).

jim0444

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 07:15:16 pm »
As suggested, I have downloaded and installed the Cocoa based version of FPCUdeluxe.

When I run it I see the following messages in the right hand window:

"All functions disabled for now.
Please check the folder permissions, and re-start."

What folders need their permissions changing and what should they be, please?

lib3

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 08:24:11 pm »
I decided to go forward with Pascal but find it very difficult to have all set up in Linux, at least on my non-deb, non-rpm distro.

Do Pascal and Lazarus people want more people coming to the environment or not?  Doesn't look so.

zeljko

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zeljan
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 09:14:46 pm »
I decided to go forward with Pascal but find it very difficult to have all set up in Linux, at least on my non-deb, non-rpm distro.

Do Pascal and Lazarus people want more people coming to the environment or not?  Doesn't look so.

And what is your non-deb/non-rpm distro ?

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 10:21:29 pm »
I have also non-deb, non-rpm distro: Chakra Linux (based on Arch). I install stable FPC from *.tar (https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Linux/3.0.4) and I use it to compile Lazarus SVN and FPC SVN.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

Akira1364

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 05:23:26 pm »
As suggested, I have downloaded and installed the Cocoa based version of FPCUdeluxe.

When I run it I see the following messages in the right hand window:

"All functions disabled for now.
Please check the folder permissions, and re-start."

What folders need their permissions changing and what should they be, please?

After a quick look at the FPCUpDeluxe sources, that error message appears to be shown specifically in the event that it cannot save the settings configuration file it uses to whatever directory it's being run from:

https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/blob/master/fpcupdeluxemainform.pas#L340

So essentially you need write permissions to at least the working directory of the executable. Assuming you have "root" permissions (i.e. it is your own computer) you might want to try something along the lines of launching it with "sudo ./fpcupdeluxe-x86_64-darwin" from a terminal window.

Wyatt Storch

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 08:59:12 pm »
So people who have 64-bit Windows (which is the majority of Windows users nowadays) and would use a 64-bit compiler if available are still downloading SEH-less 32-bit version just because they think they have to.

This might be me. Pardon my newbiness, but WHAT IS SEH?

dsiders

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 09:01:44 pm »

This might be me. Pardon my newbiness, but WHAT IS SEH?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/debug/structured-exception-handling
Preview Lazarus 3.99 documentation at: https://dsiders.gitlab.io/lazdocsnext

TinyPortal © 2005-2018