Recent

Author Topic: Test Data Set and a dropbox.  (Read 15462 times)

valdir.marcos

Re: Test Data Set and a dropbox.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 07:21:14 pm »
Just curious.
Have you tried open source options such as FlightGear?
http://home.flightgear.org/

lucamar

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 07:46:46 pm »
If you got that apt.dat as part of X-plane - the X-plane license terms & condition would govern anything you can do with any files gotten that way - which is completely regardless of what any file may or may not say inside of it.

This would imply that  the EULA takes priority over anything else when the file is in x-plane.

If the file really is GPLed then that EULA can NOT override the GPL. It was designed (among other things) specifically to prevent this kind of situations. If they ever tried to force the EULA over that file then they would themselves run afoul of the GPL.

Yes, it's a gray and murky area for us non-lawyers but ... I'd bet on the GPL priority--even more if it's the original license, as seems to be the case here.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

JLWest

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 09:04:22 pm »
No I'm not certian. As I said. I read it on a web site somewhere. At the time I didn't know he was the one who held the rights.

FPC 3.2.0, Lazarus IDE v2.0.4
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
 Intel i7 770K CPU 4.2GHz 32702MB Ram
GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics - 8 Gig
4.1 TB

JLWest

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 09:42:43 pm »
Just curious.
Have you tried open source options such as FlightGear?
http://home.flightgear.org/

No I haven't and I'm wondering why I should.

I suppose to get a whatever for the Apt.dat file. Below is a link to my Gmail
DropBox.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EUgEW4_7NmdEJNXsCGkByLdG0cJqmVg4

Half way down on the first page it states the following:

The file specification may be followed by a reference to a sequential release data cycle and build number for the data, and a
copyright message:

I
1000 Version - data cycle 2012.03, build 20121054, metadata AptXP1100. Copyright © 2012, Robin A. Peel
( robin@xsquawkbox.net) ...
The complete copyright message must be left intact if you redistribute this data. The GNU GPL (General Public License) under which this data is released is
designed to encourage modifications, enhancements and redistribution, even in commercial derivative products.

You can actually go to the X-Plane.com and read it on the site or download the spec file. I also think you can download the file.

Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

JLWest

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 11:13:28 pm »
Hi

If you got that apt.dat as part of X-plane - the X-plane license terms & condition would govern anything you can do with any files gotten that way - which is completely regardless of what any file may or may not say inside of it.

This would imply that  the EULA takes priority over anything else when the file is in x-plane.

Is there another location where this file (non X-plane generated) can downloaded.

Seems a gray area to me, unless I am over looking it.

The ELUA is worthless and takes plendence over nothing. Before retiring I was told that by the company lawyers as my company developed, shipped and installed software worldwide. It was a convention dreamed up by MS to curtail pirated software.

Congress has not authorized the use of a checkbox in lieu of a signature no are they likely to anytime soon.

If a developer want's a binding contract on that they need to get a notarized document before shipping product.

They leave it in hoping it will do some good.

Read the warranty of you car. According to that they are not responsible for anything but still they pay millions every year for their screw ups.

Some places in the world accept it. Common in Europe I think. But not in the US. Not in India, Russia or China.
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 03:05:27 pm »
On X-plane website, I saw we can download free demo. The installer is only 20 MB so I think the included data file may be the slimmed-down version that does not contains 7 millions records. But it at least gives a sample data for testing.

Can anyone check it to make sure it has the same file format as what @JLWest mean?

Josh

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 04:22:09 pm »
Hi

That's where I started, when you start the installer, read the EULA. That is where I backed out.
The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

JLWest

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 04:24:46 pm »
On X-plane website, I saw we can download free demo. The installer is only 20 MB so I think the included data file may be the slimmed-down version that does not contains 7 millions records. But it at least gives a sample data for testing.

Can anyone check it to make sure it has the same file format as what @JLWest mean?

Yes it has the same format.

I never downloaded the demo but bought the product. It is my understanding that the demo is the same as the product.

There is one possibility to that being a slim down version of an Apt.Dat. I believe the demo will only let you fly within a 100 or so miles of you location. So I wouldn't be able to start  at Heathrow England because I live in Phoenix. They would have to do that thru the apt.dat file. I get that from reading threads where guys are complaining of not being able to start in wherever or fly to somewhere. Always turns out. Do you have the demo. And low and behold there are more than one apt.dat files on a typical installation.

If you buy a payware airport for your custom scenery dir say a MisterX's KLAS you will get two supplied by him. One with ground (Static Aircraft) and one with out. All custom  scenery airports come with their own apt.dat file. In my case I have about 30.

So in summary:

There is the Global: 7.9 million records. that I'm trying to work with.

Local Global in Custom Scenery: C:\X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\Global Airports\Earth nav data\apt.dat  This file is smaller. About 163,959KB. It is unclear what the use of this apt.dat file is but info suggest it is used as a small backuip should your global 7.9 mil become corrupted. If they can't find your desired location in the secondary they display a message of corrupt file and crash to the desktop.

And then all payware airports supply there own apt.dat file but must meet X-Plane spec because X-Plane renders and loads.

Here is the short and dirty of how it kinda of works:

When you stat X-Plane you have to select a starting airport from a list box of 3,700+ airports. You can not start from an airport not in the system.

If I specify KLAX it checks my Custom scenery dir for a KLAX. If there that's what it loads and uses the KLAX apt.dat file supplied buy the designer.

If not it goes to the global. The 7.9 mill and reads out the KLAX records.

No here is where the magic happens. I don't have anywhere on my system 3,700+ airport designs with buildings. The apt.dat only carries flat earth, line and signs, lights and static aircraft. No buildings or towers. Supposedly there in somekind of markup file somewhere. 

Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

JLWest

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 04:51:13 pm »
Hi

That's where I started, when you start the installer, read the EULA. That is where I backed out.

Well you probably not breaking the law if you download the Demo.

You can as a matter of fact build your own custom airport and submit it to X-Plane 11 Scenery Gateway. It must have an apt.dat file. X-pane dose NOT build airport. The user community builds and submits airports. Do a search for X-Plane 11 scenery gateway.

It will explain in excruciating detail how to, what to, who can (anybody) owners and non owners of the product. design and submit an airport. All are accepted only one per airport is recommended.

One of the little things that MUST be submitted with each and every airport is the apt.dat file.

You know that's like creating an apt.dat file, modifying an apt.dat file and distributing an apt.dat file.

And X-Plane encourages it, has sense version 9 when you use to take off from bare tarmac.

Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

TinyPortal © 2005-2018