Recent

Author Topic: Test Data Set and a dropbox.  (Read 15466 times)

JLWest

Test Data Set and a dropbox.
« on: January 07, 2019, 05:58:27 am »
I now have a Dropbox. Not entirely sure how it works. I think I post files to it and publish the link  here. With the link you can download.

The quick and dirty to cut KLAX data out is kinda of funny.

I'm on my third write of the program.

The first I can't find, although I almost had it working, I think.

The second I rewrote it and I haven't a clue where it went to.

This one I'm testing on a small hand edited data set and having a few issues that I need to work out.

Maybe done late tomorrow and will post in to the Dropbox.

FPC 3.2.0, Lazarus IDE v2.0.4
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
 Intel i7 770K CPU 4.2GHz 32702MB Ram
GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics - 8 Gig
4.1 TB

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Test Data Set and a dropbox.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:47:17 am »
Just to warn you.

Is the data available for free? Do you purchase it? You maybe not allowed to distribute or share the data.

JLWest

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:44:36 pm »
No you don't buy it. it comes with the product X-Plane. The fie specifications are on the X-Plane site and can be downloaded by anyone. You are free to do anything you want with the data as long as you display two lines at the top of the data:

A
1100 Generated by WorldEditor 1.7.0r2

A = generated for Windows
The second line is what software and version generated the data.

Usage is also explained on the site along with an open license.
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

JLWest

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:52:29 pm »
Actually, something has changed with regards to this. The line(s) required at the top of the file use to be a copyright line with a mans name 'Bell' or something.

Ad then the A and version tool.

But this year no copyright line.

Seems Bell dropped or his his copyright ran out and he open sourced the file.

Telemann on X-Plane who is the Guru of Apt.Dat files says open source or orphan file. No restrictions. 
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

Josh

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 12:03:04 pm »
Copyright diffesr from country to country.

If its a company copright it can be up to 100 years from creation of item, if its private then it can last upto 100 years after the death of the copyright holder.

I have not read or wish to investigate the copyright issues of the data/application, but your best option would be to contact the copyright holder directly.

Even if they say the data is free, it is probable free for YOUR personal use, and you are not allowed to re-distribute, give it away, sell it within another application etc etc.
If you wish to do that then you would normal have to contact the copyright holder to get a license to allow you to use the data in that way.

If you wish to create an application that is using copyrighted/3rd party data, I would seriously suggest that you contact the copyright holder of the data; and explain what you attempting to do with the data; and see what they say. If you have to pay a license fee, this may in itself stop you in your tracks..

I am not trying to be negative; but I would not attempt such work if I did not have clarification in writing from the copyright holder that there would be no problem and I was safe from any legal issues down the line.

The fact the file you have does not have a copyright notice, could mean that the general copyright notice of the application takes precedence; which may now be more restrictive than before.
The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

JLWest

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 08:30:27 pm »
I think we are being a little over reactive here on the copyright of Apt.Dat.

The guy who developed it and had the copyright license distributed the file for free and allowed all of the Flight Sims to use and distribute it. He was the only one who could make changes.

He got a lot of work but then his health failed and for several years nothing was added or fixed.

Sometime in late 2017 or early 2018 he abandoned the copyright. Gave it up. Open sourced or whatever. You can now do anything you want with it including sell, distribute, modify, whatever.

And it now looks like all the flight sims will have custom Apt.Dat. Thus the 2 lines at the top.

A = Windows
1100 Generated by WED v1.5.1  (X-Plane 11 Software)

No Copyright line in my X-Palne 11 v11.25.
Archive on my machine of past versions of X-Plane shows the Copyright line was last in V11.02r2.

I think were safe.

Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

Josh

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:31:36 pm »
Hi

I thought I would try the demo version to get access to the data.

from https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/

But upon reading the EULA; when installing. I Stopped.

I would say that it is prohibted from this use.
3. RESTRICTIONS ON USE. The Products may not be used for any other purpose, nor be sold or given by End-User to any third party for any use. Use of the Data by End-User to generate aviation charts or maps, whether for reference only or actual air navigation, is expressly prohibited. The Products cannot be used for performance based navigation procedure design (RNAV-RNP). End-User will NOT: (a) copy, reproduce, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or publish the Data;(b)electronically transfer the Products to multiple computers over a network system; (c) distribute copies of the Products or accompanying materials to others; (d) modify, adapt, or translate the Products or create derivative works based on the Products; or (e) assign, rent, lend, sell, transfer or sublease the Products.

Unless we are talking about something totally different.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:34:08 pm by josh »
The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

JLWest

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 01:05:15 am »
I believe we are talking about something else or a legacy description left over.

Go over to X-plane 11 and join the form. There is a special section for the Apt.dat file. Guys are doing all kinds of things with the file.

Lammair is in effect selling it with their product and not showing a copyright statement. If anyone would know they would, don't you think.

Timpleman is the Guru of the Apt.Dat. if you have a question you ask him. He will tell you how to change edit, parse, whatever your trying to do.

That's what I think
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

Josh

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 01:57:18 am »
Hi

I am only quoting what is in the EULA when you install it
If you do not agree to the eula then you cant install it,
and by clicking the accept you are agreeing and are bound legally by the agreement.

That is all I am saying, like I said I was going to install the try version to get access to the data, but stopped at that point; as reading it I would not legally be able to do anything with the data.

Could you get clarification from the x-plane  forum; as it seems in conflict with the EULA of the installer, and that would be the best/only way to get the data file for me personally any how.

JLWest

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 02:08:33 am »
@Josh

There is a document of the specification of the Apt.dat file on X-Plane.com, (Not the Form)

The PDF file is to big to upload even zipped but the following lines appear half down on the first page:

I
1000 Version - data cycle 2012.03, build 20121054, metadata AptXP1100. Copyright © 2012, Robin A. Peel
( robin@xsquawkbox.net) ...
The complete copyright message must be left intact if you redistribute this data. The GNU GPL (General Public License) under which this data is released is
designed to encourage modifications, enhancements and redistribution, even in commercial derivative products.

This is why I think I can do what I'm doing.

I do have a request in with Templeman. Lamar won't answer us lonely peons, that's why they have Templeman.

I would contact Robin A. Peel but it seems God would have to be his notary on this one. Weather it's true or not I read one form somewhere he passed.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:29:57 am by JLWest »
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

JLWest

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 02:16:07 am »
https://developer.x-plane.com/docs/specs/

Location of the File Specification document on X-Plane.com

Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

JLWest

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 03:02:10 am »
He is what Termplemon says:

" Posted 21 minutes ago

If you got that apt.dat as part of X-plane - the X-plane license terms & condition would govern anything you can do with any files gotten that way - which is completely regardless of what any file may or may not say inside of it.

Besides that - all X-plane scenery formats are publicly documented and they all these docs say expressly say that anyone can write any software that reads, modify or write files and uses these documents to do that. Heck - there is lots of GIS software out there by many companies that can read and some even write apt.dat files - as the GDAL library officially supports that file format. So writing software that modifies apt.dat file is perfectly kosher.

If anyone uses that software to modify files they got from somewhere - it would all depend on what the copyright owner of those files lets anyone do with it. Which is never the problem of the guy writing that software."

I still think I'm good to go.
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
4.1 TB

Josh

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 09:31:31 am »
Hi

If you got that apt.dat as part of X-plane - the X-plane license terms & condition would govern anything you can do with any files gotten that way - which is completely regardless of what any file may or may not say inside of it.

This would imply that  the EULA takes priority over anything else when the file is in x-plane.

Is there another location where this file (non X-plane generated) can downloaded.

Seems a gray area to me, unless I am over looking it.

jamie

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 02:36:53 pm »
My method of reading a large file and filtering what I want from it would be to allocate a single chunk of
memory that can load the complete file in one step then using my own line scanner starting at the beginning
of the memory I would then read line by line until I find a line of interest.

Take the line, extract info needed, create a new entry and store it at the start of this memory chunk with a
automatic pointer to be set for the next line to be stored.

When completed, you have overwritten past lines you read in with valid info you have recreated in the
same buffer but only now, you have some left over memory you can delete or just leave it as is..

so doing it this way  you have a single chunk of memory pre-allocated for both parts, the incoming and the outgoing using the same memory...

You start off by having a READ pointer and a WRITE pointer which uses a LINEGETTER and a LINEWRITER
function etc..

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

valdir.marcos

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 07:18:53 pm »
I would contact Robin A. Peel but it seems God would have to be his notary on this one. Weather it's true or not I read one form somewhere he passed.
X-Plane 11.30 Released As The Best Linux-Supported Flight Simulator
Written by Michael Larabel in Linux Gaming on 12 January 2019 at 06:42 AM EST. 8 Comments
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=X-Plane-11.30-Released
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/1072571-x-plane-11-30-released-as-the-best-linux-supported-flight-simulator

Are you sure Robin A. Peel passed away?
I could not find anything about that on the internet, not even on his site.
https://www.x-plane.com/
https://www.x-plane.com/blog/

TinyPortal © 2005-2018