Recent

Author Topic: Bite the bullet on Pascal/Lazarus?  (Read 11153 times)

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Bite the bullet on Pascal/Lazarus?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 12:04:20 pm »
This kind of question, I personally think should not be ask.
Which one is better, the answer is opinionated.
You should try it yourself and answer it yourself.

Originally, you said Pascal is dead. But no, it is not. Because still lots of people using and improving it.

I'm not a professional programmer, I don't think I have such the high IQ as required to be a good professional programmer and I do not use Lazarus for commercial purposes. I should not give you advice, but here:

Don't use Lazarus/FPC for commercial project. Many year ago, I wrote a simple stock control for my friend's brother. I got a bug with a db control component. I submitted the bug report and waited. Finally, I got a reply saying the bug is fix. But actually I already solved the issue by not using that component because I had already waited ... if I remember correctly ... almost 1 year for the developer team to fix the bug.

So, if you use it commercially ... don't use Lazarus/FPC. You won't find the thing you need here. No one will be responsible for the issues you may get by using Lazarus/FPC. You don't pay any money, and Lazarus/FPC is not commercial supported software. But some of us use Lazarus for commercial projects because we can solve the problem ourselves, we can find workaround and it doesn't require high IQ to do it.

You said your IQ = 148.
I doubt it. Because you should know starting this thread, you will get lots of rude responses, hostile answers, lies, personal opinions, etc.
So, why you still started it?

~~~ Peace ~~~
 O:-)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 12:57:34 pm by Handoko »

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »
I am here (mostly lurking) because my first language was Borland Pascal back in the mid-80's 8)
I was taught the language on Commodore 64, my main work machine (High school / College) - never got into BASIC programming much.
I picked up Delphi ten years later (late 90's) and absolutely loved it!
It was revolutionary. Object Pascal in combination with VCL was a strike of genius.

After a couple of years I moved to C++ because I wanted to get into 3D graphics programming.

Nowadays I am an eclectic programmer - C, Nim, PHP, C++, a bit of Python, and modern object pascal: Free Pascal in combination with LCL.
To this day, I still haven't found something more productive than that concerning desktop applications.
more signal - less noise

Handoko

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 01:05:04 pm »
After a couple of years I moved to C++ because I wanted to get into 3D graphics programming.

Lazarus/FPC can do 3D too, by using TOpenGLControl or third party libraries like Castle Game Engine, GLScene, SDL, Allegro, SFML, etc.

Sorry off topic, but can you please tell me more? I'm thinking to do 3D graphics too someday in the future.

guest63552

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 01:23:36 pm »
I doubt it. Because you should know starting this thread, you will get lots of rude responses, hostile answers, lies, personal opinions, etc.
So, why you still started it?

I do no recall I have started this thread... ;)

- People here are nice

Which is hard deception. Your previous comment also confirm that...

Forum reputation is quite accurate and OP have a right to know that. As well to be informed with FPC/Lazarus current status, development and usability, saving some time if planning it for professional use...

Rest is already wrote, no need to repeat. It is simply pointless to add any other comment.

Handoko

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 01:32:16 pm »
I do no recall I have started this thread... ;)

Oh, sorry my mistake. :-[

I just want to say, no one single language tool is perfect. The thing that is suitable for one may not suitable for others. Try it yourself, if it is not for you try the others. I am not fanatic, I tried many options but so far Lazarus is the best for me.

Asking opinionated questions, usually won't get good answers but bad reactions. Try to ask 'real' questions, you'll get answers from many nice seniors here.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:38:37 pm by Handoko »

Pluto

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 03:22:42 pm »
FWIW, I started the thread.  I tried it.  I like it.  I can find sufficient documentation to satisfy my need for instant gratification.  It seems like Lazarus and OP will suit my needs.  If it doesn't work I will use something else, but I doubt I will have to.  So far most people on this forum have been nice and extremely accommodating, even with questions I'm sure they have heard before. 

Thank you to all!!!  I am locking the thread.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018