Recent

Author Topic: how to share an application with sqlite database to other computers.  (Read 2340 times)

iamtheatorres2408

Good day,
           how can i share the application i build with sqlite to other computers. i tried creating a shortcut file but and error "can't open database", appeared..what else can i do to let my workmates use the application i created. thank you so much in advance..

madref

• ..... A day not Laughed is a day wasted !!
    • Nursing With Humour
Re: how to share an application with sqlite database to other computers.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 01:38:47 pm »
are  you using a network.
then get the physical address of your database instead of your local one
You treat a disease, you win, you lose.
You treat a person and I guarantee you, you win, no matter the outcome.

Lazarus 3.99 (rev main_3_99-649-ge13451a5ab) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-darwin-cocoa
Mac OS X Monterey

iamtheatorres2408

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 12:44:51 am »
good day,
        im going to save the whole file of the system in a server, where can i get the physical address of my database?

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:22:57 am »
Might depend exactly what you mean by "share" ?

Do you want your workmates to be able to see and make changes to the data in your sqlite database ? From memory, sqlite is not really intended as a multiuser system, there is no database server as such, just a file that contains the data, your app has the code to work with the data file. So, if you put that file on a shared drive for example, sooner or later you will have locking problems as two people change it at the same time.

If the other people just need to read the data, you could give them a copy of both your binary and your database file. And maybe you'd need to send them an updated version from time to time.

Or, maybe you want to give them the app and let them create and manage their own dataset ? Thats easy too.

Maybe, sorry to have to say this, but maybe you need a multiuser database .....

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

valdir.marcos

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:58:20 am »
how can i share the application i build with sqlite to other computers. i tried creating a shortcut file but and error "can't open database", appeared..what else can i do to let my workmates use the application i created. thank you so much in advance..

Might depend exactly what you mean by "share" ?
Do you want your workmates to be able to see and make changes to the data in your sqlite database ? From memory, sqlite is not really intended as a multiuser system, there is no database server as such, just a file that contains the data, your app has the code to work with the data file. So, if you put that file on a shared drive for example, sooner or later you will have locking problems as two people change it at the same time.
If the other people just need to read the data, you could give them a copy of both your binary and your database file. And maybe you'd need to send them an updated version from time to time.
Or, maybe you want to give them the app and let them create and manage their own dataset ? Thats easy too.
Maybe, sorry to have to say this, but maybe you need a multiuser database .....
+1

Why don't you try real database servers such as Firebird, PostgreSQL, MariaDB etc?

iamtheatorres2408

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 06:12:43 am »
thanks for the suggestions guys, im new in pascal so i dont know how to use other database ..but ill try yous suggestions guys..thank you very much :D :D :D

TinyPortal © 2005-2018