Recent

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Other / Re: A "leisure" question on Wirthian languages.
« Last post by Thaddy on Today at 04:31:05 pm »
llvm as such is not a high level language although it is a step above assembler since the same llvm can target many platforms with the same code.(in theory)
One thing I did not try yet is to look if I can compile the compiler itself to the llvm backend and back. That would remove the question mark...
Also, although clang is required, that is basically for the toolchain. As far I understand clang itself is not used.
Graphics / Re: Your best UI design - contest
« Last post by lainz on Today at 04:19:59 pm »
Basically any design can be done with bgrabitmap and bgracontrols with svg!
Beginners / Re: Program loop "runaway" while waiting on keyboard inputs
« Last post by Handoko on Today at 04:19:19 pm »
Thaddy is right, what new2thisagain395 needs is an Application.ProcessMessages.

I am not good in explaining it but here I provide some examples:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,65319.msg497638.html#msg497638
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,44416.msg312238.html#msg312238
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,43806.msg307101.html#msg307101

Download the demos in the links above, run them and run them again but after removing the line "Application.ProcessMessages;". Then you should know the differences and understand when to use it.
General / Re: Slight improvement for lazbuild
« Last post by JuhaManninen on Today at 04:18:11 pm »
I applied the 2. and 3. patch. Thanks.
Is removing --get-target-file necessary? It may be used by some people and it does not harm others.
Bgracontrols has tbcpanel with gradients.
General / Re: Ribbon bar in Lazarus 3.2.2
« Last post by lainz on Today at 03:58:42 pm »
Actually bgracontrols doesn't have a ribbon control. But a demo ribbon made with panels and buttons.
« Last post by marcov on Today at 03:49:31 pm »
So, why FPC on llvm?

Academic curiosity and hedging bets in case Apple makes it mandatory for some of its targets.  So it is a side track, not the main track.,
« Last post by EventHorizon on Today at 03:45:23 pm »
Yet Rust was designed to compete with C, not C++. By the way,
Weird... it is more like a C++ competitor I think -at least in practice (?)

Microsoft can probably afford to create a tool for C (or even C++) that would check the source code for potential problems/pitfalls with pointers. If such a tool appeared, Rust would become completely redundant.
THAT would be very funny  :P

Zig or V may be interesting, but only interesting (and that's not enough for them to become popular). And Nim is completely "redundant". We know what is needed to popularize a programming language that is "redundant". Just look at the history with Java and C#. The latter was completely "redundant" when it was created. However, Microsoft's management decided to "buy his popularity" and achieved their goal (although it cost a huge amount of money and time). And it has been "not redundant" for several years now.
...and tries to repeat the same story with F# (vs OCaml) in the Functional World.
« Last post by EventHorizon on Today at 03:42:05 pm »
Visual lab great post as always  :)
Agree!
« Last post by EventHorizon on Today at 03:41:29 pm »
Freepascal can compile itself.
So, why FPC on llvm?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

TinyPortal © 2005-2018