Recent

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Editor / Re: v3.99 code completion question
« Last post by VisualLab on Today at 03:12:27 pm »
Please refer to the screenshot.

In line 3136, the editor changed "char" to "Char".  I'd like the editor to not change anything I type (even if it's wrong... I'll fix it myself) but, I couldn't find the setting that tells the editor to leave my code alone.

In line 3137, the editor suggests "ArrayStringToPPchar" and no matter what I type next it puts that "ArrayStringToPPchar" string in there.  I'd like the editor to put whatever it is suggesting only if I press "enter" or possibly "tab" and _nothing_ for any other key.  Right now, it puts that string in there no matter what I type.

Thank you for your help.

I tried to replicate Lazarus' behavior by entering the code provided in the screenshot. But I didn't notice the behavior you described. I'm using Lazarus 3.0 (64-bit), Windows 10 (64-bit). So it's probably some option that is enabled in your IDE, but disabled in mine.

Unless this applies to a newer version of Lazarus. In any case, this is a disturbing behavior of the IDE, because the editor should be helpful and not "a pompous wise guy who knows better than the programmer".
Debugger / Re: FpDebug breakpoint on "begin"
« Last post by 440bx on Today at 02:59:22 pm »
Maybe it would be possible to separate vertical areas (stripes) in the gutter in which different types of icons would be displayed, so that they would not overlap? Additionally, divided into editor modes: editing and debugging. In each of these modes, the editor could display different icons in separate areas of the gutter.
I like the separate modes idea.  I think it makes sense to dedicate specific areas to specific purposes.

I think that's the direction this is going because in a previous post Martin made it clear that the two icons should not overlap and there is enough space for both icons to be displayed (thereby creating the separation you suggested.)

« Last post by VisualLab on Today at 02:39:28 pm »
At first sight it seems there is enough space to put the red breakpoint dot to the left of the little note bitmap.  Basically, if FpDebug could place its breakpoint indicator flush left there would be two (2) visible bitmaps at that location instead of just one.

Another possibility that does not entail moving the breakpoint indicator is to place the breakpoint indicator on top of of the Hint indicator (instead of having the Hint indicator on top as it is now.)  Personally, I think the breakpoint is a lot more important than the Hint.

I compared the location of the blue dots in Delphi and Lazarus. In Delphi, dots are placed near the left edge of the gutter. When debugging, they usually do not conflict with other icons. The dots in Lazarus are placed at the right edge of the gutter. As a result, they are often covered by other icons. Maybe it would be possible to separate vertical areas (stripes) in the gutter in which different types of icons would be displayed, so that they would not overlap? Additionally, divided into editor modes: editing and debugging. In each of these modes, the editor could display different icons in separate areas of the gutter.
« Last post by VisualLab on Today at 02:30:31 pm »
Breakpoint on "begin" => I assume when you remove the breakpoint, then there is no blue dot on that line?    So the issue is that FPC does not generate code for that line.
You're right.  There is no blue dot on the line.

One thing I wonder: in Lazarus, blue dots appear in the editor gutter when debugging is started. They disappear when debugging is finished. In Delphi, blue dots appear after compilation/build is completed and remain after debugging is completed. What is the reason for this difference in the behavior of both IDEs?
Databases / Re: Database standards OR Am I doing this right?
« Last post by gidesa on Today at 02:16:21 pm »
The concurrent access to db from different users is one of the first and most important problem that a dbms has to resolve.
So, it's no surprise that it's much better to use dbms concurrency mechanism (logical transaction, lock, isolation level, etc.), than handmade limited solutions.
Initially there is an effort to understand that mechanism, yes, but it's well worth.

I agree, the best solution comes from the database itself. At least I assume that, they've put a lot more work and knowhow into the database-code, than I'll ever do with my client-code...
« Last post by 440bx on Today at 02:11:28 pm »
Thank you very much for the valuable information, I really appreciate it.
My pleasure.  You're welcome.
« Last post by YiannisKam on Today at 02:08:03 pm »
Thank you very much for the valuable information, I really appreciate it.
Other / Re: Forum slow
« Last post by 440bx on Today at 02:00:43 pm »
It's morning here now and the forum is _noticeably_ more responsive. :)
« Last post by 440bx on Today at 01:59:45 pm »
Sorry for the off-topic 440bx, but may I ask which font family you use in your code editor?  They look very cool.
No problem. 

I use the font that Borland distributed with Delphi 2 (and possibly some of the later versions.)  It's called "BorlandTE" (filename: BORTE.FON). Quite likely the best programming font ever designed.  Since its release I have not seen anything that matches it (though one font comes awfully close.)

I cannot share it because it is copyrighted but, there is a clone that is _almost_ identical that is a free download, it is "raize" font.  It so close that if you don't have them both, it's not likely you'd notice that one isn't the other (hint: the numeral "0" is where the difference between the two is more noticeable.)

I don't want to promote one site over another by offering a link.  Just do a search on "raize font".  There is one site where the font is rated at 4.9, I've used that site.  Any site you pick, be careful, they try to con you into clicking on something that is not the download button for the font but some junk they are peddling.

There is another clone called "Borlandte-cjm" (free with attribution), what's interesting about it is that it is a truetype font and works in Visual Studio (the reason I looked for it and found it, I wanted to use Borland's font in VS.)  It's a good effort and the fact that it works in VS gives it value but, it's noticeably not as good as Borland's raster font but, you may want to look at it.

Succinctly, first choice: BorlandTE, second (and close) choice: Raize, third choice (not as close as I'd like): Borlandte-cjm.

For more information about fonts, comments and screenshots, I recommend the easy to read article https://darinhiggins.com/2012/05/18/best-programming-font/

There about 4 additional alternatives that article mentions that I would consider if I didn't have Borland's font.

HTH.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

TinyPortal © 2005-2018